Skip to main content

The second wedding I have attended so far in North America

I'll say it is somewhat of a strange title for a blog post, but I thought I would blog about the second wedding I have had the pleasure of attending since I moved to North America. Let me give some background by saying that the first wedding I went to was of my friend from UBC, Reza. He married a girl he met at UBC and the wedding took place, what feels like eons ago now. I believe it was on the 19th of June, 2004 that they got married. And, last I heard, they are still happily married. That was an interesting one; he's Persian, she's from Central America I believe, she's Catholic, he's Muslim.

It isn't often that one gets invited to a wedding. At least that is my feel for it. I have a few friends that have been going to weddings every weekend or so for the past few months, but I think that is the exception rather than the norm... and I am sure they realise how lucky they are to be present at such an important event.

My co-worker and friend Dave (and his then bride-to-be, Heather) sent me a little envelope in the mail a few months back. I was a) taken aback, b) surprised and c) overjoyed at getting the wedding invite.

I was taken aback because I had just asked him about it a couple of days prior to that how things were going for the wedding (he was in DC for work), and I didn't even get a hint that I would be invited. I certainly wasn't expecting to be. I was surprised because it came to my home... and Dave does not have my address. I think I realised that about an hour into my jumping around that I had never given him my home address. I'll get to the jumping around bit later. I was overjoyed because it is not often that someone invites me to such a special event. To make me part of their wedding celebrations (my part was to show up and congratulate him... but still), to think of me, to invite me, to allow me to be a witness to the blessed event, that made me very happy.

So, lets get to the jumping part. I think, for a good hour after I opened the invitation, I was jumping around the place saying things like, "I am going to Dave's wedding, I am going to Vancouver"... I think Dave actually got a note on my jumping around bit. Can you blame me? This would be my second wedding attendance in 11 years! Perhaps that puts the jumping around in context. I think I messaged him on the berry as soon as I calmed down... I told him that I would be there... and I asked him how he got my address. To which he said, we have our sources too... it didn't take long for me to find the source.

I then had the delicate task of asking my manager if I could go. I honestly did not think he would let me go, the way I wanted anyway. In the end though, he let me work out of Vancouver for 2 weeks. I appreciated that. I think I booked my flights that night. I didn't want anyone to change their mind; not Dave, not my manager, not me...

Now that the excitement was taken care of, I got by, by counting down the days to my trip home. It couldn't come fast enough if you ask me. I think I spoke to Dave a couple of times after the whole excitement of getting invited. I sent back the RSVP card as soon as I could as well.

So, come wedding day, I get all dressed up and head out to the place. Dave and Heather had picked a little park in West Vancouver to hold the ceremony. There was a little bridge there and what not; it made the whole thing look perfect from the get go. Except for the rain. Did it ever rain. Well, I guess it didn't really rain that badly... and its not like that mattered. The ceremony was fabulous. The gentleman conducting the wedding quite funny (Dave jumped the 'you may kiss the bride' bit by kissing her before he was allowed to). I got to see a lot of Dave's world there; his lovely family (I've met his brother a couple of times, though not his little dog, who I hear is quite the character (the dog that is)), his friends and people that mattered to him. I wish there were more people there I knew though. It was a bit awkward standing around at a wedding where many people seemed to know each other...

There were great stories on tap that day. I overheard the story of choking on steak from one of Dave's friends. That fellow allegedly wolfed down food too quickly while out on a trip to Western to visit Dave and his friends and ended up spending the night in hospital. I realise that my narrative on the story isn't that amusing, and neither was this character's, Fluker I think was his name. To hear the real deal, you will have to ask Dave.

I did (thankfully) run into Jag and Diraj and we were seated together. At least I knew one person there (Jag that is, Diraj went to another wedding I think). Dinner was good; though there was no wedding cake. I guess not all weddings need cakes. I loved the stories from that night though. How Dave met Heather, what Dave did as a kid, how the boat nearly broke, how he hurt his leg two weeks before the wedding, how heather hurt her nose etc etc. And I saw some old pictures; Dave has awesome hair when its not trimmed! And his mum cuts his hair for him still (I sure hope he doesn't care that I let the cat out of the bag on this one...)!

Now, I normally add pictures to blogs and a wedding is probably one of the best occasions on which to add pictures... but sadly I have very few pictures worth posting. I do have a picture of a tiny mouse I saw on my way back to the car after the wedding ceremony, but that's not really in keeping with the theme of the event. The little bugger by the way seemed to have had some sort of cold related issue... he was in the middle of the side walk, probably no more than a couple of centimetres (sans tail) long, slightly soaked and sitting still. He was breathing though, you could see the rhythmic motion in his tiny body. Looking at that, one would assume that was some kind of ectotherm; but he isn't. He's a mammal and quite good at adapting to his changing surroundings... Oh, well, mouse stories aside, I do have one picture of the radiantly happy groom...

When it came time to dance, the bride and groom set about doing it in style. I can't remember what the title of the song is (I can tell you that I know its Dave's wedding song everytime I hear it on the Crave (I listen to the Vancouver station via the Internet because I miss home...)), but it sounds so appropriate for the two of them. On the off chance that he or she ends up reading this (I'd be very surprised), congrats once again and thanks for inviting me. And sorry if I divulged any secrets.

I will cherish that day for a long time to come. It was a perfect Vancouver day; a bit of rain, good food, good friends, great stories and a happily ever after. Nothing more to ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l