Skip to main content

Mysteries solved!

So I am in Miami (see previous post, I am not done writing it up at this point in time...) and I kept getting called by this weird number from Delaware (302 area code). As a rule, I do not answer my phone when strange numbers call me. In fact, I don't usually answer my phone at all. I use it to call people... not to be called. After the third call, I answered... and it was a recorded message from Bank of America. Apparently, they wanted to check some questionable charges that were on my credit card. I couldn't make sense of the charges so I hung up, waiting to deal with it when I get back to civilisation again and in the peace of my home.

My blackberry has been on the fritz of late as well. No data requests were coming in for whatever reason. This was, I have to say, quite frustrating. And freeing as well since I was away from work and no emails came through. Of course my gmail stuff gets forwarded too... and it was annoying that I couldn't get them (flight delay notices for example), nor could I chat with anyone on google talk or use google maps (I do have my GPS unit with me, but google maps is remarkably awesome to use)... anyway, I figured out how to correct the problem. Google talk seems to have been stuck on trying to sign onto the network and no amount of anything I did could coax it out of that mode. So I did the only thing I could think of... I deleted it. Viola, my emails start flooding in, the browser works again... life is good once again! So then I start to backup my berry... and it has been trying to do so for a couple of hours now with no luck.
I sorted that out... then I decided to figure out how to use the berry as a modem for my laptop (I mean, I pay for data and I don't want to pay T-mobile to surf at Starbucks via their hotspot nonsense...), so I searched and found this link that explains it in great detail for my Pearl on my T-mobile network. Wohoo eh?

While the berry was trying to backup, I fired up Skype and called the Bank of America to see what was going on with my credit card. I was surprised that I got to speak to a person right away... and that he was willing to help. He took down the details of my card and verified some personal information. Then he told me that my card may have been compromised and wanted to know about certain charges. The first one was about $20 and change... from a place I never heard of... and it was in, of all places, France! I haven't been there nor have I bought anything from France... so of course that was some fraudster trying to get my banking info. How, I have no idea. He said that he is not sure what happened either but that the fraud division will be looking into it. He said that the number was keyed in, not swiped...

The other two transactions he mentioned... were mine though one threw him for a loop. It was at Au Bon Pain and he thought it was another French invention... that I was being defrauded at. Except those were bagels I bought for the office. And the third was Cake Love... also in DC. So, those two stand, the real French one gets struck off the record I hope and if all goes well, I will have something in the mail. Maybe all credit card companies should just send you new cards every X months or something... but then again, that might lead to more fraud. At any rate, kudos to Bank of America for watching and notifying me... even if it is a bit creepy to know someone or something is watching my spending habits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...