Skip to main content

Shame on you, South Africa

When you were screwed over with Apartheid, the rest of us in the world did something about it. Not that we did it quickly or 'liberated' you a-la-Iraq style. But we did something. Maybe diamonds slipped the embargos. Maybe it took 20 years longer than needed. But know this; we were there. We stood shoulder to shoulder in solidarity. My passport had a stamp in it saying I could not enter South Africa. Stamped by my own government. Because we were serious about boycotting Apartheid-ridden South Africa. We did not play cricket with South Africa. Why? Because we wanted to make sure they were isolated. Guess what? After many, many years of your pain and suffering and even more of your sweat, blood and tears you gained your freedom. I remember that Sunday when some dude named Nelson Mandela was released from prison. I remember because they interrupted all TV programming on our ONE TV channel town to let us know he was released. I recalled asking my mum who he was that his freedom merited interrupting my movie.

I found out much later that he was much more than just some dude. He is one of the greatest dudes who lives amongst us. And he fought for what was just.

So why am I so mad? Well, I read/heard/saw what happened to the immigrants in South Africa. How so many were killed. Because of what? Because they ran away from their own countries to yours? Because they would much rather not die at the hands of thugs in their own country? Because they want freedom? Oh how short is thy memory, South Africa. No so many years ago, you were there. You were the ones being shot at. Killed. Sent to Bantu schools. Treated as something sub-human. Need I go on? Scores of years ago, one man named Gandhi was thrown off a train there. You know what happened as a result? The whole world changed.

To see that country, that country which is supposed to be the model for Africa and the world, that country which shows harmony amongst it people, that country, that country is in chaos, killing fellow Africans. Shame on you. Shame on you for killing your fellow man. Shame on you for killing those poor bastards who tried to escape hell from other parts of the world. To escape hunger and beatings and illness. You, of all people in Africa who have suffered more than most, you have allowed this to happen.

I have always admired your country, your struggles, your triumphs (even in cricket) and now I get this? Why? How can a country from where people like Mandela and Sisulu come do this to their fellow man? Why? Because of what? Not all immigrants are terrible. I am sure some steal. I am sure some do things that make you wonder why no one gives them a good beating. But we cannot do that. Not in a civilised society. Otherwise, we are back to the Bantu days of the NP. So take stock. And sort that shit out. And please, never ever give me cause to think negatively of you.

Comments

true man.. so true.. I feel exactly the same way

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l