Skip to main content

How messed up is this world?

I had one of my normally decent, non-bothersome colleagues at work give me a dressing down for some things today that I didn't quite appreciate... and I figured I would make a point of it by writing. He took issue with the fact that I didn't know who Matt Damon was and how I didn't watch any of Matt Damon's 40 odd films and how that was a terrible thing for me. He took further issue with the fact that I didn't really know too much about Michael Jackson's thriller (apparently the most watched video on earth or some such poppycock). Right. I told him that where I grew up, Michael Jackson wasn't exactly the most popular thing. Apparently I was wrong. To support his claim he sent me two things. One was a youtube video. I refuse to embed it on my blog because it a pile of piping hot shite. But you can watch it here. The second was the website of the Indian Michael Jackson fan club. The terms 'Indian Michael Jackson fan club' somehow sound wrong in structure, but leave that aside for now. I knew one person and one person only in India who actually listened to Michael Jackson's crotch grabbing music... and that was my cousin. I think I once saw a video (when we used to first get MTV in Madras... before too many other cable TV channels) of a black Michael Jackson with Sir Paul McCartney I think. Perhaps that is a figment of my imagination.

Anyway, this is going to be a rant, so prepare yourself. I have lived in the 'West' for half my life easily. To many, perhaps, I am a Westerner. I definitely have some of their characters. I use and abuse resources... I drive a car when I can, I eat what they eat (cows, pigs, raw fish etc), I fly regularly across the continent (not enough... sometimes) and generally, I am a fat, loud bastard. But, make no mistake, I am not a Westerner in your run-of-the-mill, Michael Jackson crotch-grabbing, Matt Damon movie-watching sense. I don't know exactly what I am... I was born in India, I have lived on 4 continents... and I am now living in the capital of the United States of Americaland.

And I am just fine with who I am. I don't follow sports. At least not sport people in North America follow. I find baseball boring. I find American and Canadian football downright silly. I find ice hockey violent and I don't really like basketball because I tried to play it once and decided that you needed to be 7 feet tall to have a shot at putting the ball in the basket. Does that make me a terrible person? I don't give a flying fuck who the New England Patriots are or who Tom Brady is. I don't care that there is an American League and a National League in baseball... nor do I care that there are a hundred million games a season in baseball. I don't care particularly for golf or anything of that sort. Again, I ask you, does that somehow diminish the quality of my life?

I watch football. The real kind. Where men dress in shorts and play ball (as in something that is round) with their feet. Mostly Internationals... not so much the premier league or La liga or the Bundesliga or Copa Libertadores variety. I will watch it if I have nothing else to do. That makes me happy. Just watching the scores of the recent Finland vs Germany draw was enough for me. I was thrilled to bits. And it seemed, I was the only one. The enlightened bastards around me wouldn't know a football if it came up and said, hello, I am a football.

I used to watch Cricket. I can still spend a day watching a good game of cricket. I will when I go home. Am I somehow living a less than fulfilled life as a result? Don't get me wrong, I do watch the odd ice-hockey game too; in fact, I've been to a half a dozen or so, so far in my life. And never to one cricket match. I've curled. I loved it. I will do it again, the next chance I get. Does that make me somehow a lesser human being?

I can honestly say that I rarely if ever watch films. I hated Indian run-around-the-trees-in-the-rain-while-wailing-some-terrible-song type movies forever. And I _am_ Indian. I described just about every Indian movie that was ever made right there. They have little to no substance, they are unrealistic and full of the hottest piles of shit that side of the Indian Ocean. And somehow, they sell. Does that make me narrow minded?

I have rarely watched many so called Hollywood films either. I have never seen the Matrix or Star Wars or Star Trek or Matt-Damon-run-around-the-place-shooting-up-stuff movies. I don't care for them either. Star Crap movies are weird. They have creatures with things growing off their faces. I watch funny movies. I will watch a movie with Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, even if it is the same for 5 sequels. Because they are funny. Maybe you get bored by the second one, but I find them humourous. I will watch John Candy teach a bunch of Jamaicans how to bobsled every chance I get. Does that make me any less of a human being? Am I missing out from 'culture'? Is the Matrix culture? I don't know. I don't know much about it and aside from being lost when someone brings up an analogy on the fact or they ruminate on some finer point on the subject, but, knowing or not knowing anything about the Matrix has no impact whatsoever on my life. Am I poorer for not knowing it?

I mentioned this once before... but it doesn't hurt to mention it once more. My taste in Music is different than your average person's. I don't care for snoopy dog dog or Phil the rockstar. I listen to different things. I listen to what pipebands produce like March, Strathspey and Reels. I listen to Goran Bregovic. Because I stumbled across his music when researching Dublin. I listen to the BBC a lot. Because I like them. Does any of that make me less cultured? Less approachable? Less _anything_? Do I need to expose myself to modern pop culture? What good does it do me?

If I said I knew who Akira Kurosawa is but not what Oceans eleven or twelve or whatever is (they aren't about Oceans at all apparently), does that make me less of a person? Are Star Wars, Matrix and God Father universal? Will a kid off the streets of Mombasa know what that is? For that matter, will a kid off the streets of Kannur? Would a twenty-something year old in Ulan Bator believe that Michael Jackson is the greatest performer alive? Am I ignorant for disagreeing?

We all live in our own perception of reality. Your common place is not always my common place. Yes, I reside in America. No I am not American. I am me. There is only one of me on god's green earth (but which god, whose god?). That does not make me any less of a person. That does not somehow make my life poorer. I may not know who Hillary Duff is or who Jared Leto is dating... nor do I care... I do know plenty of what is happeneing in the world I care about. I do know where Kenya and Mongolia are and can probably tell you on any given day where North and South are. I can probably tell you where North and South Korea are on a map. And North and South Dakota for that matter. None of that makes me ignorant. Or enlightened. I am not about to receive moksha on a mountain for any of that.

I do not take kindly to people telling me who I am or what I should believe in. I think I am a fairly level headed person and I can go with the flow as it were... but I will not, I will NOT sit down and let someone tell me what to do, how to think and when to breathe. That is not in my being. For life is indeed too short to live someone else's reality. I live in my reality... and everything in it as a combination makes my life unique. And richer. And better. So I say fuck off to all you bastard who tell me I am wrong. But do tell me something. Please.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tell you something?
Hmm that you are quite obnoxious?
All of your ranting is YOUR opinion.
You same to loathe the American lifestyle and well loved past times.
Tolorance and Acceptance is the key to being an open minded individual that respects other people as YOU expect to be tolorated.
Everyone has a right to live their lives as they so choose.
*To be healthy and fit....something you apparantly despise being fat and all lol
*To enjoy and appreciate cinematic artforms
*To enjoy and appreciate the live athletic team experience and come together in team spirit in the "american way"

Your coworker is right
You are clueless to many things
It's called the human experience
Social interaction, something tells me that you are socially inept

You don't like our country
Get the HELL out

Oh and Jared Leto btw does a hell of a lot for charities and the environment*abeautifullie.org*. He was food stamp poor growing up and does not place value on materialistic things
Just because someone is handsome does not make them a bad person
Kirk Gray said…
That rant was a little much - calling one thing "real football" certainly comes off as obnoxious as all the obnoxious people that you are ranting at in this post. People know what they know, and that's fine, but you can't rail against something that you don't understand or don't try to understand - correct? I know I have given you a hard time but mostly because you seem to go out of your way to be a cultural outsider, not because you are one. That said, the other person who has commented here is not the best example of how to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l