Skip to main content

The excitement is building...

I am a lucky person. I live in as a legal alien in the United States of America. That's what they call me, check Wikipedia or the INS website. Not only do I live as a legal alien in the US, I live in its capital. The District of Columbia is unique in some respects. It is not a state, it does not elect voting members to the House of Representatives (the lower house in the bicameral legislature) or the Senate. I don't think it has the ability to raise funds the same way states can and the highest ranking authority here seems to be the Mayor of the District of Columbia. Anyway, guess what's going to happen in 8 days? We are of course going to swear in the most powerful man in the country and some would say, even the world.

Washington DC is abuzz with inauguration type activities. People are excited about it, there isn't a hotel in sight that has available rooms around that time, the roads are full, there is construction all over the place, the police are everywhere and so on. I fully intend to go see the inauguration assuming that the weather doesn't turn out to be wretched. It is historical. It is (hopefully) the end of terribly short sighted foreign policy (where phrases like 'you're either with us or you're against us', evil-doers and various axis of evils are never again repeated), it will hopefully be the start to the improvement of the US and world economies, it will hopefully be a more peaceful time all over the world as a result. It will also be the first time a man of a different skin tone will be inaugurated as president of the world's most powerful country.

Much has been said about his impact on the African-American community in the United States. Lots of people expect him to be a role-model for the young black community. Lots expect miracles, a walk on water, the parting of a sea. But does that make sense? Sure, he's black. Or is he? His father was Kenyan. His mother was from Kansas. And white. That does not make him the typical African-American. He is not a descendant of slaves. He is more a descendant of recent immigrants (well, a student at least) to this land of opportunity. His parents aren't typical either. His father was born a Muslim. He happens to have an economics degree from Harvard University. His mother happens to have a doctorate in Anthropology. Again, I don't know if that maps to the perception a lot of people have of the average African-American. This man comes from a very well educated family with ties in such far flung places as Hawaii and Kenya. And did I mention that his step-father happened to be Indonesian and that the good fellow spent part of his life in Jakarta? This man has a half-sister who is part Indonesian, half-brothers who are Kenyan... his half-sister has a doctorate, his half-brother studied at Stanford and now lives in China... his other half-sister from his father's side has a PhD from Germany...

Clearly, this isn't your average run of the mill person, or African-American! This man happens to have a very unique history. He comes from a very gifted family and he himself is quite talented. He studied at Columbia and Harvard. None of this is meant to say that African-Americans aren't capable of any of that or anything, I just think this guy is one amazing person. Will he be a good role model? Why the heck not? But is it because he's African-American? I don't think so. There have been many black people in America and elsewhere who shine and could be role models just as well for anyone out there looking for a black role model.

It amuses me that people think that just because these kids see an African-American person take the highest office in the land that they will turn around and change their lives. I don't see it that way. There are a great many successful African Americans in this country alone; General Colin Powell, Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, Will Smith, Oprah Winfrey, Bill Cosby to name a few. And what about people from Africa? What about people like Mandela or Sisulu or Jomo Kenyatta? Are they not black? Does that mean they are somehow role-models for black people only? I don't think so. I think Mandela is a brilliant human being. He's inspired so many people over the years and he lives in a multi-racial South Africa!

Barack Obama can be a great role model. But I think it would be wrong to somehow expect him to be that because of his ethicity or because of anything else like that. This country has a rich culture, a unique heritage and a privilaged place in this world. Any person living here already has enough to succeed. They have an abundance of good (and bad) role models. I hope people don't expect something magical to happen just because the guy running the show now looks slightly different that the previous 43.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Enjoy the inauguration. I think I like my HDTV better for this event :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l