Skip to main content

Some times, governments are just stubbornly wrong

There are some things one should never do. One should never cheat on your taxes, one should never lie to one's physician or lawyer. One should not be stubbornly dumbassed about something that the majority of the country and its courts agrees on. The Canadian government has been, of late, doing some unnecessarily dumb things. My concern today is the appeal by the government of a ruling by a federal court in Canada that says they have to appeal to the US government to repatriate a Canadian citizen who is being held at Guantanamo Bay on questionable charges in a reasonable time-frame.

As a Canadian, I have some rights. I am allowed to come back to the country whenever I want. I can expect to use my travel documents (my passport) to enter many other countries. On behalf of Her Majesty, the Minister of Foreign Affairs requests that I be afforded all assistance and protection as seen necessary to travel through other countries. I can even expect, when there is no Canadian mission, to appeal to a British mission for help! That I suspect is because their Queen happens to be our Queen as well... and we are after all, members of the Commonwealth.

I also expect my government to do everything in its power to ensure my welfare. If I die outside the country, I expect them to do something for my family, like repatriate my body home. I expect my government to defend my interests if I am in trouble (regardless of where I am). Why then is a legitimate government trying so hard not to help a Canadian citizen?

The Americans haven't tried Omar Khadr. The Americans most likely want him off their hands because of regime change in America (without any tanks or bombs) and some recognition of the cruelties done and the flimsiness of facts. He's our citizen. The Americans are our friends. If he had done something wrong (as alleged), lets bring him home and try him in a proper court with all safeguards and proper jurisprudence. He was a 15 year old kid taken out to a horrible place by lunatic parents on a religiously charged quest to change the world. But he was a 15 year old kid. I don't think he decided to go to Afghanistan from the confines of Toronto. I don't think he believes in the nonsense his parents did. And if there is evidence to the contrary, let us try him keeping in mind that it was a warzone and people were shooting at him and... he got shot in the back, becoming a paralysed from the waist down... and blind in one eye. Not that what happened to him has any bearing on what he is alleged to have done. But... justice is a two way street, lets not forget. Someone shot a kid in the back as well.

Why the government has decided that they can appeal this decision is beyond my comprehension. What court is going to say that we should leave a citizen stranded in a kangaroo prison? We shall see. My expectation is that the government will lose its appeal. I hope the judge throws whatever he has at his disposal at the government. I also hope that the public sees this nonsense for what it is... a tactic to delay making a decision and a waste of time and money. And just plain cruelty. I have not been a fan of some of these decisions made by the Harper government and this stands out as an example of their lack of care for their own citizenry.

They've also got one Canadian citizen living in a Canadian embassy in Khartoum because they are unwilling to issue him a passport to travel. I don't get it. If he is part of some terrorist organisation as is claimed by CSIS and the government, repatriate him in handcuffs and try him in our courts with the evidence you have. Don't stick him in an embassy in another country in limbo. That makes no sense. And again, its cruel. As a Canadian citizen he has the right to return to his country. If you're unwilling to repatriate him yourself, give him his documents so he can travel and when he enters, pick him up if you believe that he is a criminal and stick him in jail and file a case against him. Its just plain stupid to leave a man in limbo. We are not a super power and whatever secretive knowledge you have, I trust a federal court judge to keep to himself or herself while you try him in a semi-secret court if necessary, if you think national secrets will be divulged.

I don't buy into the claims made by some in society that because these two people are not white enough, the Canadian government doesn't care. Canada is a remarkable tolerant country and I don't for a second believe that our government is racist. For one thing, a fair bit of our government is not white. I feel proud to say I am Canadian... in fact, I am a hyphenated Canadian, I have two countries I can call home and am very proud of. I just don't understand why they would do things that fly in the face of common sense in these situations. So please fix this Mr. Prime Minister. For there is more than just two peoples lives at stake here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l