Skip to main content

New York and back

I love travelling and going on vacation. A couple of weekends ago, a few friends and I went up to New York City. I met up with more friends there. New York city is awesome. And getting there from DC is cheap, fast and easy. You hop onto a bus right by the office, spend four hours on it and viola you're in the middle of NYC. So that's what I did with a couple of friends. We headed up to New York on Friday morning. We took the Megabus double-decker (with glass roof!) bus there and got seats on the upper deck.

The bus got us there on time and we decided to go check into our hotel. The hotel is right across from the UN building and once we had sorted that out, we did what most tourists do in NYC, wander around.

We walked a lot that day. We ended up going to a comedy show on the upper east side in the evening and because my friends smoke, we ended up meeting one of the comics. He was quite the interesting guy. He wants to change the world with humour and his ideas. He seemed to know a lot about the world and was a lot more accommodating of our differences. We also had an ethnic Hungarian who was born in Holland and grew up in Sweden there... spouting the benefits of Sweden and its version of social democracy. His girlfriend was just Dutch...

Anyway, the next day, I was supposed to meet up with a friend of mine from back home in the old country as it were who I hadn't seen for over 13 years! He just so happened to be in NYC the same weekend as me and I wasn't going to miss the chance to meet him. So I did. Right by the Empire State building. Technology is amazing. If it wasn't for Facebook, I would not have known he was going to be there... nor would we have figured out when and where to meet.

Anyway, Nikhil, his friend from REC and I hung out around NYC, took in the sights, sounds and so forth of the city. Then my travel companions finally made their way to find us... and after a few beers, we decided to go see things. We made our way all the way down to the southern tip of Manhattan to catch the Staten Island ferry to go past the Statue of Liberty. That was awesome. We made our way back and we saw two Marine 1 helicopters (used by the US President) and a whole bunch of polo ponies coming off Governors Island where Prince Harry (3rd in line to the Canadian (and British) throne) was playing polo! Only in New York I suppose. Mind you, the White House is on my way to work... and I see it every day that I go...

Somewhere along the way, another one of my friends had met up with us and the six of us went to see another comedy show, this time by Time Square. We wanted to go see a Broadway show but that wasn't to be. The lines at TKTS were just too long to be worth standing in. After the comedy show, we split up, I said goodbye to Nikhil and a couple of us went to get food at the halal cart on 53rd and 6th. The food there was just plain awesome. After that, we headed back to the hotel.

The next day, we packed up and headed out. We came back to DC in the early evening so that we could get ready for the work day. If only I could have stayed there longer. I guess the big thing for me was meeting someone I have known for sooo long in such an interesting city. My friend had not really changed that much. And it was a true pleasure to discuss what happened to us since we last saw each other... from the various people who went to school with him to those who got married, who are engaged, who have kids... to discussions on politics and just societies and what is fair and what is not, it was sheer joy. I am glad I got the opportunity to meet up with him in this part of the world and to hang out, albeit just for one day. It looks like I'll be heading out to San Francisco if all goes according to plan, so that should be another chance to meet up with him.

Anyway, here are some of the pictures from the trip



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l