Skip to main content

Anyone remember Y2K?

As the year comes to an end, the various media folks out there are compiling lists of things that happened during the year and during the last decade. I guess we all started 2000 wondering about this scary Y2K thing. I remember people saying that the lights would go out and the VCRs would awaken and try and kill us all... But that seems like such a long ago. I remember I had a cellphone then. But not even in my dreams did I think that there would be a phone that plays music and videos and allow for emails to fly through the air and what not.

A decade can make such a huge difference! One of the political countdowns had a picture of Arafat and Bill Clinton hanging out with Ehud Barak trying to make peace before the second intifada started. Seems like such heady times then. Since then, Arafat made an exit (permanently), Clinton went his own way, some lunatic bastards got on some planes and flew into buildings, George Bush started all sorts of wars and even he's disappeared from the face of the earth it seems. Mind you, the mess he left behind is still here, though day by day, it looks like we care even less about that.

The weather folks have their own countdowns too, our lovely British weather lady was saying that on the whole, this decade has been the hottest on record and Canada was warmer by 0.5 degrees Celsius than last year. Which makes me wonder how they measure Canada's temperature.

As for myself, if I had to make honourable mentions of things, what would I call out as being important? Well, I suppose getting something of an education and a job for two. Getting to live and see America would make it on the list. Going to visit a few places (I have a very large list of places I want to still see) would be another. Buying a car. I guess, in the grand scheme of things, nothing that significant. Although I have to say, the job is nice... it pays for almost everything else.

As to what there is to look forward to, let me see. I am sure the Olympics will count as one of the highlights for the upcoming year. So will owning my own place (or rather owing the bank a lot of money for many years to come in exchange for a place to stay). More education? Why not. But in what. Get married and all that? We'll see. I am not a big believer in marriage and happily ever after. Because it certainly seems not to be the case. Although, like Christmas, perhaps, there is something to it.

Anyway, since this is my last post of the year... I wish you all a safe New Year's Eve, a prosperous 2010 and all that other good stuff. Watch the Olympics in February and March, they should make for a real fun time. I for one hope that the Canadians do indeed 'own the podium' as they've been hoping for. And I'd really like to see the lone Indian fellow make his mark in the scary sport of Luge.

I'll stop with a question. What are you looking back on and looking forward to? Maybe those are two questions. But let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...