Skip to main content

What would Akbar say?

I have been reading news from back home in disbelief at the amount of violence that one crazy preacher in Florida has caused. It seems that the people of Jammu and Kashmir have decided to go back to curfews and violence and what not. The issues in that mountainous part of the world are exceedingly complex, but this much is clear: whatever illusions anyone had of peace and prosperity and improvements that were supposed to happen... cannot quell the underlying sense of anger that seems to exist there. 

I feel sad reading about it. As a child, I remember listening to the news and wondering what these terrorists were; in Punjab, in Jammu and Kashmir, in Sri Lanka. So much violence. They used to rattle out how many paramilitary forces and militants were killed on a daily basis. I don't think it ever dawned on me that these were people... they were just forgettable numbers to me. They were these odd beings, these terrorist creatures... they died a lot. 

Also as a child, I remember hearing about Fatehpur Sikri in history class. It is probably one of my regrets in life to not pay enough attention to the history of India and the world in class. I think I spent more time counting the number of times that teacher said the words 'Now see...' than anything else. Sad as it is, there are things I should have learned then. I guess its never too late to learn. At Fatehpur Sikri, there lies a gate called the Buland Darwaza, this giant gate that keeps the mosque on the other side of the gate. The city was built by emperor Akbar. He (we assume it was him) thought it right to put the following quote (in Persian) on his gate:

"Jesus, Son of Mary (on whom be peace) said: 'The world is a Bridge, pass over it, but build no houses upon it. He who hopes for a day, may hope for eternity; but the World endures but an hour. Spend it in prayer for the rest is unseen.'"
That an emperor of a powerful Islamic empire saw it fit to put a quote attributed to the Christian son of god (and prophet to Islam, peace be upon him) speaks volumes to me of what Islam in the subcontinent is about. It may have come (at least in the North) by the sword, but it stayed and became our own. I am sure that the many millions who celebrated Eid ul-Fitr in the subcontinent did so with their non-Muslim brethren in peace. 

I realise that my hope for peace probably makes no difference, but here's my plea to all sides and crazies out there. If the great emperor Akbar saw it fit to quote Jesus Christ on his grand door to his mosque in Persian no less, surely, in the 21st century, we can try and live in peace? When the average person outside of India thinks of India, they probably think of the Taj Mahal... something built by an Indian emperor as a tribute to his wife whom he dearly loved. Oh he was a Muslim too. But so what? Is the Taj Mahal any less Indian because of that? I am guessing not. So how is it that we can so easily throw stones and fire bullets at one another in the name of religion because some preacher half a world away talked about buring the holy Koran? How is it that we can so easily separate ourselves into various buckets; Muslims, Hindus, terrorists, nationalists? There has got to be a better way. 

If we managed to get freedom from the British (and carve what was then India into 3)... why can't we all just live in peace, play cricket, build the next google and generally have a good time? 

Comments

i wish it were that simple... but the hardliners are in no mood for any such show of compromise or secular love..

the irony is : they want freedom.. freedom from what ? If we were to just give up on Kashmir and say, ur free, in less than 5 yrs, theyd be bankrupt from the effects of their own self destruction or overrun by our neighbouring infiltrating terrorists looking for an easy entry into india..

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l