Skip to main content

We'll take a cup o' kindness yet

As I sit here on the eve of 2011, I am drawn back to this past year. Many good things happened, many not so good things happened. I can't remember much of this year, but the little that I do remember gives me reason to pause and consider those events.

I suppose the single biggest thing to happen this year was me taking the plunge into the housing market. While it wasn't an entire failure, it wasn't an overwhelming success either. A lot of the inventory in the market is quite expensive. I think I was caught between waiting to save more and hoping for the market to cool down and not really making a difference because prices were steadily climbing. It turns out that prices have gone up more since I bought my place. I am not sure if that's a good thing or not, but that is what it is. Getting settled in has been quite the affair; I am home, but I am not entirely sure this place is a home. There is still plenty that needs to be done.
I know at least a few other friends who went out and bought places, so I think we all took big steps this year.

I had my first (and so far only) house guest from out of town come spend a few days with me. I was thrilled to have a visitor. We went and did all the regular touristy things. I hope I was a good host.

I ran the Vancouver Sun Run in May. It took me a little over an hour to run the 10km route. While I wasn't entirely thrilled with the time, I am glad I at least participated and finished it.

I spent most of the 2 weeks of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver getting to enjoy a side of the city I don't think any have seen. It was truly a magical time to use a cliché. Vancouver was alive like never before. I don't think there was much that would have put a damper on those magical days. It was a bit odd to see the Paralympics not get quite the same reception; they got the roadblocks, security and what not, but not the same level of fanfare and crowds. I really hope that the people who are in charge of future Olympics find a way to integrate the two events and stretch everything a bit longer. I think it would have been much better had we put the two events together and added a week onto the entire schedule.

I made the annual trip out to Kelowna in the summer. Sadly, I am not sure we can keep doing this for too long. Many of the guys brought their wives/significant others etc along with them. They were all fun, but when there are close to 20 people in a group, coordinating anything becomes a bit of a nightmare especially when people want to do vastly divergent things. That and all the drama that comes along with the women (forgive me for stooping to that, but really, there was far more drama than if there were 10 guys left to their own devices with booze added to the mix) made the trip somewhat lame. As well, the guys aren't quite the same when the women are around... 

Aside from that small trip, I didn't manage to do anything else vacation-wise. Partly that was because I didn't have anything concrete in mind and partly it was due to the financial situation of my poor bank account. I did want to make it out to the island, but I never did make it. I shall have to remedy that in 2011. I want to see more of Canada and the world. I am thinking of heading east to the Atlantic provinces. It is sad that it costs so much to visit parts of this country compared to what it costs to visit our neighbours. I mean, I can spend a week in a fancy Mexican resort for less that it costs me to fly to Prince Edward Island.

I attended the wedding of one of my friends this year. It was the third wedding I have attended in my nearly 14 years in North America. It was quite a wonderful affair; there was a wedding in an Orthodox Church (where there are no pews, you stand through the service), a reception at the Church as well, and a bride that did not stop dancing. It was quite memorable and I was thrilled to be around so many of my friends to see such a wonderful event. Weddings are truly amazing events. Especially when you know that the two people that matter on that day are perfect for each other. I have been invited to at least one wedding for 2011; I have a hunch it might be my first multi-wedding year.

A couple of my friends took the next step and had children. I have yet to see the little kids in person, but their pictures are quite adorable. I hope to see them in the new year. I am guessing that the likelihood of more kids on the way is high.
I've learned a lot about myself and my friends over the year and I think I've gotten a bit better at this game of life. Hopefully, this bodes well for me and this little clan of folks I know. Here's hoping the new year brings us good lessons, good times, good friends and happy thoughts. To my dear readers, thank you for reading and I hope your new year is filled with good things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l