Skip to main content

Its everybody's favourite season: election season of course!

Canadians are off to the races once more to pick a new group of MPs. There's 308 of them. One of them will become Prime Minister. And it seems that a good chunk of the electorate doesn't give a hoot about the process.

The media do a good job of reporting on the events. On the surface at least. But they try. They also seem to relish in finding Canadians and asking them about the elections to get the desired effect of a disenchanted and largely uninterested and ill-informed set of people to sheepishly grin on TV.

Many people I have seen interviewed have similar excuses; its not time for an election, I don't know what the issues are, I haven't voted since I last used my discman, this will change nothing (meaning the make up of our parliament). Many also don't seem to care. The level of antipathy and downright anger is amazing. Its like someone inconvenienced them with these (admittedly horrid) election advertisements in between their Jersey Shore and HNIC broadcasts. Canadians know what HNIC is. At least, they ought to. The nerve of that elitist Ignatieff (how do you pronounce it again?) and that funny fellow Jack Layton and that Frenchie old curmudgeon and evil Harper. That's about 10% of Canada. They can actually name 3 of the four federal party leaders out there. I am pretty sure Rick Mercer hasn't done a talking to Canadians version of his old skit (talking to Americans), but I would bet a good cup of coffee that Canadians are quite ill-informed about their so called democracy. And no amount of tweets from the party leaders is going to change that.

It is sad really. The good news is, the issues that are brought up in these elections are not really that relevant to the average Canadian out there in the Tim Horton's line up (think Roger Abbott's character at Tim Hortons). Most Canadians don't really know much about corporate taxes I would wager. But that's a big deal in this election. Should they be lowered to 15% or raised back to 18%? Most don't really understand what an F-35 is and why we should or shouldn't buy 65 of them at a cost that now sounds quite unrealistically low. This also is a big deal. There aren't very many issues that Canadians care about. Now, if they were talking health care or selling our water to the Americans, you would have a public who were willing to stick around and watch the news after HNIC on a Saturday night and see what the party leaders have to say about it. 

But, is pleading boredom or worse, apathy really a good thing for our democracy? I hear people say this over and over: I don't care about the issues, they don't affect me etc. But they do. Huge chunks of money you send to the government through income tax, sales tax, import tax, carbon tax and god knows what other kind of tax are being portioned off by these guys. It is _your_ money. Know why gas prices are high? There's a lot of taxes on them, that's why. Oh and various coups, wars and what not in places that produce them. And speculators who are cashing in and paying capital gains tax on their earnings.

 The other thing that makes me sad is that a whole whack of these people here care peripherally at least about what is happening elsewhere. We are quite animated when it comes to our role in Afghanistan and our lack of role in Iraq and especially, what is happening with various democratic movements in the Middle-East. I find it incredible that people are willing to get shot at, lose limbs, families and risk torture and losing everything they have to get a chance to vote. Meanwhile, here we are, bemoaning the fact that we don't know what the issues are and why we should vote.Thank goodness these people in North Africa and the Middle-East are not taking cues from us Canadians regarding democracy. Our enthusiasm might just make dictatorship appealing enough (I doubt that but still).

I was incredibly fortunate to be in the US to see the current president get elected. I saw the election process from start to finish. From the terrible advertisements,from the arguments about whether he was black enough or too black to whether he was a Muslim, a smoker or the devil. I went to his inauguration ceremony on the national mall. As an outsider, I was glad to see so many people show up and stand for hours in the cold weather to see their democracy in action. It was somewhat historic I agree, but at least they seem to care about their democracy. Passionately. Sometimes, illogically. But they do care.

I also come from a land where people like my grandparents did not have the right to vote when they were young. A lot of 20th century history had to happen before they got to vote. World Wars, winding up of colonial empires, Gandhi and what not. I never got to vote there, but I suspect the past century has imprinted in the people of that region the importance of democracy and why one should participate in it fully. Not that everyone there practices it... but I think they get how valuable their vote is.

So, my dear Canadians, do me a favour, give snooki or whatever other character it is that you're watching these days a break, get involved in your democracy, get intimate with the issues and make an informed decision on the future of your country. You should also cheer on all the Canadian teams at the Stanley Cup playoffs. But I am sure you can spare a couple of hours to perform this duty to your country. Voting is a privilege, make it count. Wearing a red hoodie and saying eh is enough most days, but we can do better this time around, eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l