Skip to main content

Life

Life can be fully amazing. Full of joys, full of sadness, full of kindness of friends and strangers, prayers and hugs. You can be affected by what is around you. Whether it is the nuclear radiation in Japan or the warmth of the sun or the sunny disposition of that wonderful cashier who packed your milk and eggs at the green grocer today.

Life has a way of catching up with you. I sit here in my comfortable office looking at the last rays of sun as it disappears for a few hours (its past 9pm here and still light out), leaving behind a soft red afterglow in the cloudy sky and am amazed at how good life can be. How fortunate one is to live.

Perhaps the music I am listening to has something to do with this melancholy mood I am in. In case you're wondering what I am listening to, give this a listen.


That was a video I came across on facebook. The pictures on their own are awesome. The music makes it that much better I think. 

Perhaps it is what I am reading that makes me feel so. Some of you may have heard of Derek K Miller. Some of you might not have. But what he has written on his blog is truly thought provoking. If you feel like life is getting you down or that the world is bearing down on you or you feel like no one cares about your problems, give that a read. Even if you don't feel that way, give that a read. I have mentioned this before... the world is a lot bigger and more complex that we give it credit for. There is a lot out there that is worse. And we find a way of making our insignificant problems larger than they need to be in the grand scheme of things.

So take a moment, take a deep breath, look out the window, stare at the dark clouds forming and re-forming and pause. Smile a little. Think of all that is good in your life. Think of all that you have seen that is worse.

As for myself, I am going to read for a bit and think about what to write on a wedding card (my friend is getting married at the end of the month). Or what to say to a little newborn who is not here yet (my friends are having a baby towards the end of the year). Or perhaps, I will just go lie in my bed and look out the window at the clouds that are forming and re-forming as I did when I was a child on the terrace of my home in another country in another era when life was, just as beautiful as it is today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...