Skip to main content

I'm missing all the fun

Rumour has it that summer is here in Vancouver, but for a fleeting second. If you blink, it will disappear on you. I had so much planned for this summer. Not much has panned out. 

While there are other seasons in Vancouver (namely grey and rainy), I much prefer this brief period of time where we all feel like we're part of the rest of the Northern hemisphere, enjoying the warm rays of the sun's tour of the upper latitudes. This year hasn't been much of a summer in my mind; I've seem more grey and rainy days than I care to remember. 

All that is now changing however. The mercury goes above 20 now (shocking!) during the day. It says 16 right now, but then again, it is past midnight. I did manage to do one thing I have never done before: hike dog mountain. There are pictures on G+ for those who care. The hike itself was not that much fun; there was far too much mud, gnarly roots and nasty bugs to make it interesting. The worst was the melting pack ice though. I fell through ice a few times. And even with the warmer weather, having your legs soaked in ice cold water/mud/ice is not a pleasant experience. I will say this much; the hike may not have been something I would write home about, but the view from the top of dog was definitely something to talk about. You can see so much of Vancouver and its adjoining communities from up there. My little point and shoot did not do it justice.

I haven't been out on my bike for over a month now. That in itself is quite sad really. The worst thing is, I can't remember the last time I went out for a walk on the sea wall. Things have to change. I'm actually spending time staring at COBOL on another monitor right now and while things build, updating my often neglected blog. Anyway, it looks like I am heading back to staring at COBOL/Java. Someone has to do it :).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...