Skip to main content

Do you know why we wear poppies?

It is early November and many of us Canadians are wearing the ubiquitous red poppies on our lapels. Those of you who watch the BBC likely have seen our British cousins wear a similar poppy on their lapels. We wear it of course, in honour of all those soldiers who died at all those wars. We wear it for Remembrance Day. Canadians hold the poppy very close to their heart. After all, the inspiration for it came from a Canadian.

As I've touched upon before, In Flanders fields is a poem written by a Canadian soldier and physician, Lieutenant Colonel Dr. John McCrae. He penned that poem after seeing his friend die. The poem stirs up a great many emotions in Canadians I find. While we may not believe in war all that much, you can sense a wee bit of fierce pride when it comes to the wars of yesteryear and what many of our countrymen and women gave up for the world to be the way it is today. If you're into figures, know this: fully, one million Canadians went to fight in the second world war. That may not sound like much. Except when you look at the population of Canada at the time. Canada was a country of 10 million inhabitants. One in ten went to fight. That is incredible. This isn't 10% of the able-bodied 17 to 35 year olds or something. This is fully 10% of the entire population of the country that went to fight in nearly every theatre of war in Europe. I find that statistic to be incredible. Over 45,000 didn't come back. They perished in the various ravages that make wars what they are. An absolute waste of lives.

Our not quite fellow Canadians (at the time) from Newfoundland (they joined Canadian confederation in 1949) sent a percentage larger I believe.

So, you may be able to see  why we so religiously wear these little red things on our lapels. A lot of our blood has been shed on the battlefields of Europe in the name of freedom, King and country. I'll take a pass at expressing my sentiments on how the rest of the British empire fared during the wars (especially the Indians). That will make this post far longer than I am willing to have it.

We mark Remembrance Day (in Canada) on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11 month of the year. So do all our Commonwealth brethren. This was when (in 1918) the Armistice was signed, ending the First World War. We may call it Armistice Day or Poppy Day or Veterans Day but the sentiment is the same. And we wear our poppies. In the freezing cold. In rain. In snow. In whatever mother nature throws our way. But this is where this Canadian story takes a bit of a turn.

You see, when I went to get my poppy this year (we donate funds to the Royal Canadian Legion in exchange for a poppy), the lady gave me a sheet on the history of the poppy. I thought I knew all that I needed to know. Lt. Col. McCrae and the armistice. What more is there? It turns out, plenty more. You see, this American lady who worked for the YWCA named Moina Michael read McCrae's poem and wrote one in response called We shall keep the faith

Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,  
Sleep sweet - to rise anew!  
We caught the torch you threw  
And holding high, we keep the Faith  
With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red  
That grows on fields where valor led; 
It seems to signal to the skies 
That blood of heroes never dies,
 But lends a lustre to the red 
Of the flower that blooms above the dead  
In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red 
We wear in honor of our dead.  
Fear not that ye have died for naught; 
We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought  
In Flanders Fields.  

She decided she would wear a poppy to remember the sacrifice of the soldiers. She began a tireless campaign to get the poppy adopted as a symbol of war sacrifice. Remember, this is happening in the United States. She succeeded in 1920.

Along the way a French lady Anna Guérin came upon these poppies and decided to get the war veterans to make poppies and sell them and use the proceeds to rebuild France. She convinced the British and the rest of the Commonwealth to adopt these poppies. 

And this is why we wear the red poppies to remember. A Scottish-Canadian doctor and soldier's poem inspires an American who decides to make it a symbol of sacrifice which then gets picked up by a French woman who in turn convinces the British Legion (and others) to adopt it as an official symbol of remembrance. Read more on the story of the poppy here.

So remember that when you wear the poppy. 

The one thing that saddens me is that I don't see very many of our American brethren wear these poppies. They too have lost much in these wars and I think it would be a fitting tribute to their veterans. In Canada, we may be of various political stripes, religions, ethnicities, colours, countries of origin and what not, but we all wear our poppies. Great effort is taken to make sure Canadians all over the place have them on. The Canadian delegation at the G20 summit had it on. Canadian reporters all over the world have it on. My mother used to send me a package in the mail when I lived in the US. I have every poppy I ever wore pinned on my curtain. And, I will have a new one this November 11.

So this Remembrance Day, take a moment and contemplate what those young men and women gave for whatever country you call home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l