Skip to main content

A note on obsessive record keeping and its unintended consequences

On a whim, at the end of last year, I decided to keep track of what time I make it into work on a daily basis. Keeping a record of the time I walk into the door was as far as I got in terms of coming up with a resolution for the new year. The assumption there was that I would try and make it into work prior to 9am. Along the way, I decided to add the time it takes me to get to work. This gave rise to the below graph.

I am not certain what I am to take away from this. I have yet to miss keeping track of one day. I obsessively follow the same routine. I get on the elevator going down from my apartment and by the time I walk out the door, I note down the time I started at. I turn my phone's sound off, then I walk to work. About 20 minutes later, I get to work, depending on the traffic lights and the pattern I take to work. I wish desperately for there to be no line at the office elevator so I can get up as quickly as I can. Around the 9 O’Clock mark, there is a rush of people, so it takes perhaps two minutes, all told, to get up to the 17th floor. 

In that time, I stare at the little screen on the elevator which flashes the news, the weather report and the current state of airports across North America. Why, I don't quite know. Oh and it tells me what the weather is like in Calgary, Toronto, Miami and Los Angeles. The last two typically make me wish for sunshine. 

Finally, I get to the office door, swipe my card to get in and then, I can document my time. And then I go to my desk and write it down on paper for posterity. I don't know that it has made me any better at getting to work earlier though.

If you look at the graph, I have been all over the place with my arrivals. I've walked in as late as 9:27 and as early as 8:45.  On average, I think I do make it in by 9, but that's just a hunch on my part. Anyway, what is the point of all this? At the end of the day, rather than using the data to make myself more punctual, I'm enjoying just generating data.

Now, onto the next story. Well, before the next story, a side story. I'm a bit compulsive with keeping such useless records. I've done so in the past for my hikes. In that case, it has really helped. Well, in the I'd-like-to-improve-my-time sort of way. My times seem to improve towards the end of the season. This could just be because my body is in better shape as the summer but I'd like to think it is because I try harder to beat my previous best time.

So, onto that other story. I've been riding a bicycle for a long time. My co-workers are fairly serious bike riders. One of them is attempting something called the Gran Fondo, a sort of mad race up a mountain on a road bike. Gaining 1700m falls into the crazy category. Take a look for yourself. As part of his training, and because keeping records seems to be fun, he keeps meticulous records of his rides. I started to keep track of my bike rides as well. 

While I am not attempting the race (perhaps next year?), I've noticed that all this record keeping has spurred me to actually take part in more rides than I normally would do. Today for example, I rode up a decent hill for over 2k just so I could get data for next time. While it was no hors catégorie, I was spurred on by the fact that I could try beating my current best (and single) time on that hill. 

I have a Garmin device that aids me in this endeavour. While strictly not a cycle computer, it gives me a few good data points to track my progress on these tracks. I use a service called Strava to keep track of my rides and I have to say, they make getting these achievements fun. If I do a good ride and I hit some personal records, I am very happy. I have yet to achieve any global records, but one of these days, I hope to break into the top 10 of something. I've gone from barely biking to biking almost every other day. And Strava helps by showing you how badly you are doing compared to others (or yourself in the past). I find it motivating.

The take away here is that sometimes, keeping records can help spur you to improve whatever it is you are doing. As my little garmin device ticks away, I am looking forward to getting in another ride tomorrow, thereby completing my goal of riding 100k in 10 days. Mind you, there seems something wrong with my bike, so who knows whether I will make it by tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Blogger beta woes

I said in my earlier post that I had switched to Blogger beta. Since this has become more popular on account of the richer media available, a lot of blogs I follow have switched. I use the live bookmarks feature of Firefox to index and read the blogs... but sad to say, when I try to load the atom.xml file... I now get some crap from Yahoo!. I hate change. I embrace it willingly when I have to (as I do with beta software etc) but when something works the way I like it... I like it. If someone knows how to fix this so the live bookmarks work again in Firefox, do let me know.