Skip to main content

Summers are getting hotter in Vancouver


This shouldn't be a shock to anyone, but summers are getting a lot hotter here than it has been since I started living here. It used to be that in summer, it would be in low to mid 20s and reliably sunny between mid June to about mid August. Perhaps the sunshine stayed till September. Somewhere along the way, there would be rain as well. But that was 2+ decades ago. 

In the past few years, there has been many days where wildfire smoke dominated the skies and air. Rain is rarity now in the summer. And it has started to get hot. It is not unusual for days when the highs are over 30C. 

This is starting to cause homes to get very hot. Most apartment buildings in Vancouver are covered in glass. While it makes for great views, it also turns apartments into little ovens. My apartment faces West and it regularly goes over 30C by the end of the day. And it barely cools down overnight. The outside is a lot cooler in the evenings.

A few years ago, we had something called a heat dome - basically a prolonged period of hot weather that didn't move away. This killed 600+ people due to the heat. It is incredible to think that in a wealthy country, in a modern city that so many vulnerable people died from something like heat.

Now, you may say, why not use air conditioning to manage the heat? Well, the simple reason is, most places were not built with AC in mind. We built buildings  to stay warm, not cold. Most of Vancouver does not have ACs built into homes or apartment buildings. Offices seem to have it, but it is kind of hard to sleep at work. Not everyone has an office either or work in a place that has AC. There are changes to laws the province has done to allow heatpumps and mini split AC units in multi-family homes. There are also rebates for installing it. Unfortunately, most apartment building stratas don't seem to be in a rush to investigate how to get these things in a orderly, organised way. My building definitely has not done much to further heatpump installation.

People have little portable ACs with a hose sticking out the window these days, but a) they are ugly, and b) you need to have somewhere to store the thing once summer is over. In my case, my apartment does not have enough space to store the AC after summer. Also, I would need at least 2 to keep my apartment bearable. Which means I have to find space to store 2. 

The elephant in the room or in this little conversation is climate change. Governments and society seem to have given up on getting a handle on climate change. We used to have a carbon tax on fuel that WORKED. We got rid of it to win elections. Our cities could plant a lot more urban trees to line streets and parks to provide shade. I walk to work regularly. There are some streets that have a great tree canopy and other parts that just have bare concrete that just radiates heat in the afternoons.  The difference in walking on the tree lined sidewalks to the non-tree lined ones is very much noticeable. The thing is, trees take time to grow. You can't just magically have a shade giving tree in a summer season. It takes decades for trees to get to the point where shade is substantial. 

People are doing their bits to try and mitigate climate change. But it seems so little in comparison to what the weather is doing. I see lots of electric cars in Vancouver and I see lots of people use bikes, e-scooters and public transit. I also see ridiculous traffic in Vancouver at all hours of the day.  So, cars, electric or not, add to congestion. On my part, I do own a car and drive it once in a while. Last year, I drove about 1500kms. Yes. My insurance guy double checked that it was indeed the case. I walk a lot, I take transit a fair bit (and have an employer that pays for a bunch of it), and ride my bike when the weather is nice. If the city didn't have such a bike theft problem, I would really consider using my bike more (or getting an e-bike to go shopping with).

So what is the point of this post? Well, I am not sure really. I guess maybe it is an appeal to readers to try and do their bit to combat climate change? Maybe walk more, or ride your bike if it is safe. Heck, take transit, advocate for better transit in your city and use it. Plant a tree, plant 3. Garden, do something so I don't melt in my apartment. And people don't die from something like heat. Because this isn't going to get better any time soon and not without all of us doing something about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...