Skip to main content

Do I get a new email address?

For those keeping track, I work for a software company. That company is being bought out by another. I understand that the takeover is almost complete now that the two companies have been given the green light to merge by the United States Department of Justice. So, a lot of us are wondering whether we will get to keep our jobs...

There is good and bad from this merger. Allegedly, the new owners are much richer. They are also better at business. Why? Well, for one, they bought us out. For a long time, it was an Us vs Them competition. We felt like we owned a (albeit tiny) part of the company. And we thought we were winning (or leading at least). We lost. We felt let down. Now we get cashed out. There is little more to stick around for, except for the money and to see what the new overlords decide to do with our little enterprise.

A lot of us are looking for greener pastures or just a change. The one thing about working where I am is that I have made many good acquaintances, maybe even friends. I have also come across some people I would rather not have much to do with. All said, I like my workplace. I think I have just fallen out of love with my job. I used to be eager to go to work and tackle the next big problem. Now I dread going there. Seriously. I hate seeing our Remedy application staring back at me. I hate reading emails from all those people who are less than content with what we produce. I have no say in what we produce. I have no say in how we manage our product. I hate hearing my co-workers vent their frustration out. It makes the work-place less enjoyable. I am tired of the many lies that come our way every day. I have been drawn closer to the people I interact with the most.

I was told that my attitude needed an adjustment. I was told I am drawing the morale of the place down. I was told to be careful of what I say or I will end up dealing with our Human Resources department. I was told to think for myself. I was told what I said could be construed very differently. Maybe it is just me. I have been with the place a little over a year and a half. I have seen many of my co-workers move on. Turnover is becoming a discussed term. I have seen at least one opportunity I had to move on thwarted by my managers. The very same people I am supposed to trust and look to for guidance. They are fast becoming personae non-gratae in my world.

Soon enough, we will see what the merger brings. Maybe it will bring a time of excitement and opportunity. Maybe it will bring pink slips or worse. I just hope the job market is good and that I can find something better should I need to. I also hope I don't lose contact with most of these people. Because they have come to mean a lot to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...