Skip to main content

My first week of work in DC

I feel like I have a new job. Well, I do. I work for a software company based out of Washington DC. I switched departments to the product development team and am part of the performance engineering team. There is so much to learn and so much to do.

So, how was the first week? Well, for one, it was interesting. When I got to DC, it was warm. I couldn't find food late at night (I got out of my hotel after 10pm) and had to adjust to the way the folks here speak... they sound rude but I guess they are just like that, they are not really rude people.

Since then, I started working in the office, met tonnes of people and made friends. Met my new manager, he's a charming person with a million ideas. I had lunch at a few Mexican type places and am quite impressed. I ate at Baja Fresh and Chipotle. Good stuff there. There are a few places around the office with food around breakfast time... au bon pain, cosi's and corner bakery. Most are not open over the weekend... as I learned today. I did go to au bon pain today and ended up spilling coffee all over their floor. Sorry.

There are some Canadians here and I thank god for that. They make my time here reasonable. The hotel I stay in has high speed internet access but it is not free. It was for the first couple of days. So I end up staying in the office late to get my work done/finish with my internet access. I learned a few things here:
- I don't know the city at all
- I don't think there are any grocery stores anywhere close by
- Internet access is weird here
- The temp housing on N Street is really nice
- I can't find a 7-11 here
- Buy phones through amazon.com
- Alcohol like Scotch in Virginia (close by) isn't that cheap
- Poppies like the one I wear (for Remembrance Day) bring questions

I am working in the office still on Vancouver stuff and its late on a Saturday. Weird huh?

I got Skype working here and I can finally call people. I even got credits to call home and I ended up doing so. I have yet to talk to some of my friends in Vancouver even though I've tried to call them.

More Canadians are coming into the DC office next week, it should be fun to have them all here. We have an offsite going on here, so I shouldn't feel alone that much. This city will slowly have lots of people I know soon enough and we will bring a little bit of Canada to the capital of the United States.

That's it for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...