Skip to main content

Je me souviens

Well, maybe it is the holidays. Maybe its the fact that I just had dinner alone. Maybe it is because I am watching Virtual Users abandon with glee and spiteful disregard for my cheering them on. Whatever the case is, I do remember lots. I thought I would list a bunch of things I'd rather be doing today.

I'd like to walk in the rain in Vancouver. Yes, I know the few of you that read this page think I am crazy. But I kid you not. Try it out sometime. There is something remarkably refreshing, one would almost say a soul cleansing quality, to a walk in the rain in Vancouver. I think I've come up with more good ideas and made peace with more things walking in the rain all by myself than I have at any other venue. Granted, it isn't the easiest. But it is something that I do miss. And no amount of walking in the DC rain makes up for it. For one thing, rain is a rare thing here. Secondly, it pours like crazy when it does rain here. And I am not inspired by the rain here. No offense.

I'd like to spend time with my friends. Living so far away from the people that matter to me only makes me appreciate them more and wish that I had done so sooner. I called one of them an hour back; he was sitting down to Christmas supper at another friend's place. I miss those folks. I miss getting coffee at the Tim Hortons and sitting outside for an hour just catching up on our terrible jobs or the girl from the bar last week... or who's getting themselves condemned (my word for marriage) or what sort of cool car someone drove/saw the other day. I miss the crazy shopping with Liz. She'll say she wants to go to 20 shops in Metrotown... with a couple of hours of time from closing and I'll say no problem. Two hours later, we are still in shop number 3 and that too barely by the skin of our teeth. I'd like to go to the various clubs like the good old days when Ivan would empty at least a half bottle of cheap wine and Voja would tell stories about something or the other and Oz would smoke a pack of cigarettes (okay, lets skip the smoking bit) and I'd just listen to the stories in the parking lot before going anywhere. We'd end up standing in line somewhere, get in there, I'd go find a spot to watch people, watch my friends make absolute asses of themselves and then I'd drive the less than sober ones home.

I'd like to go back to the Okanagan. Sometime when its quiet and not crowded by the drunks. Actually, let me rephrase that. I'd like to get there before the drunks, enjoy it for a couple of days, then see the drunks over a summer long-weekend and then enjoy that as well. I'd like to drive on those roads in a car with a suspension that lets you push the speed limit and survive. I'd like to stop by the road-side fruit stands and get some fruits. I'd like to sit on the beach and read for hours on end. With some shade hopefully.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'd like to go back and do my support gig for a few days. Seriously. I would like to, for once, to go back and work once again with that set of super talented folks I worked with troubleshooting the craziest things they came up with. I loved the thrill of the challenge but mostly, I'd like to go back and see those folks in that building in that setting for a couple of days. One of them is no longer alive. I'd like to say thanks for all the help to him.

I'd like to do the grind again. I don't care in what weather. The rush of getting to the quarter markers and finally getting to the summit is something else. I'd also like to get a cup of coffee from the cafe at the top. And then maybe wander up there for a bit. I'd also like to hike up the Chief. And come back with nothing broken.

I would like to eat sushi in Vancouver again. Lots of it. Forgive me CITES, the conservation lobbies and what not. I know... eating tuna is bad for the fish stocks. But they are SO yummy. Lets ban bad fishing practices. But let me eat sushi. I'd like to eat at Samurai on Davie. I'd like to eat at Akira on Denman. And pretty much anywhere where the fare is not bad.

I'd like to go back to school. Not just to wander the UBC campus, but to actually learn and do something useful once again. To discover new things, new ways of thinking, new ideas, read new books, meet new people etc.

I'd like to go back and play on the Jagoffs softball team again. It was quite an interesting concept; lots of alcohol, softball games for the sake of fun... Kylee yelling random stuff... Jag being the affable captain and Krum being the only person on the team with a competitive vein.

I'd like to have unlimited access to the BBC on TV. Hell, I'd like to have a TV again. I miss the BBC. Thank God for the BBC. I'd also like to watch the CBC and see all the comic shows on them as well as the news.

I'd like to wander the world again, see Singapore, India, Scotland again. I'd also like to see new places; Germany (spending a few hours in Frankfurt am Main airport does not count), Japan, Cuba, Peru, South Africa, Kaliningrad...

I'd like to think that I will be home next Christmas. Who knows, maybe for good. And by George, I will be grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...