Skip to main content

What would Akbar say?

I have been reading news from back home in disbelief at the amount of violence that one crazy preacher in Florida has caused. It seems that the people of Jammu and Kashmir have decided to go back to curfews and violence and what not. The issues in that mountainous part of the world are exceedingly complex, but this much is clear: whatever illusions anyone had of peace and prosperity and improvements that were supposed to happen... cannot quell the underlying sense of anger that seems to exist there. 

I feel sad reading about it. As a child, I remember listening to the news and wondering what these terrorists were; in Punjab, in Jammu and Kashmir, in Sri Lanka. So much violence. They used to rattle out how many paramilitary forces and militants were killed on a daily basis. I don't think it ever dawned on me that these were people... they were just forgettable numbers to me. They were these odd beings, these terrorist creatures... they died a lot. 

Also as a child, I remember hearing about Fatehpur Sikri in history class. It is probably one of my regrets in life to not pay enough attention to the history of India and the world in class. I think I spent more time counting the number of times that teacher said the words 'Now see...' than anything else. Sad as it is, there are things I should have learned then. I guess its never too late to learn. At Fatehpur Sikri, there lies a gate called the Buland Darwaza, this giant gate that keeps the mosque on the other side of the gate. The city was built by emperor Akbar. He (we assume it was him) thought it right to put the following quote (in Persian) on his gate:

"Jesus, Son of Mary (on whom be peace) said: 'The world is a Bridge, pass over it, but build no houses upon it. He who hopes for a day, may hope for eternity; but the World endures but an hour. Spend it in prayer for the rest is unseen.'"
That an emperor of a powerful Islamic empire saw it fit to put a quote attributed to the Christian son of god (and prophet to Islam, peace be upon him) speaks volumes to me of what Islam in the subcontinent is about. It may have come (at least in the North) by the sword, but it stayed and became our own. I am sure that the many millions who celebrated Eid ul-Fitr in the subcontinent did so with their non-Muslim brethren in peace. 

I realise that my hope for peace probably makes no difference, but here's my plea to all sides and crazies out there. If the great emperor Akbar saw it fit to quote Jesus Christ on his grand door to his mosque in Persian no less, surely, in the 21st century, we can try and live in peace? When the average person outside of India thinks of India, they probably think of the Taj Mahal... something built by an Indian emperor as a tribute to his wife whom he dearly loved. Oh he was a Muslim too. But so what? Is the Taj Mahal any less Indian because of that? I am guessing not. So how is it that we can so easily throw stones and fire bullets at one another in the name of religion because some preacher half a world away talked about buring the holy Koran? How is it that we can so easily separate ourselves into various buckets; Muslims, Hindus, terrorists, nationalists? There has got to be a better way. 

If we managed to get freedom from the British (and carve what was then India into 3)... why can't we all just live in peace, play cricket, build the next google and generally have a good time? 

Comments

i wish it were that simple... but the hardliners are in no mood for any such show of compromise or secular love..

the irony is : they want freedom.. freedom from what ? If we were to just give up on Kashmir and say, ur free, in less than 5 yrs, theyd be bankrupt from the effects of their own self destruction or overrun by our neighbouring infiltrating terrorists looking for an easy entry into india..

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...