Skip to main content

Angry birds and assessments

I got my property assessment today. I don't know if I should be excited or sad. My property is worth more than it was worth last year. By a decent percentage. Yay. Of course, that also means that my property taxes go up. Not so yay. 

I finally broke down and bought my first ever paid app from the App Store from Apple. Damn. Is Angry Birds ever addictive. I had read about it before and dismissed it as a silly game, but I think it is worth the 99 pennies I paid for it. The guys who created it are dealing in digital crack I think. If you've ever wanted to do something worthwhile with your time while you're stuck in a line, bored at a party or on a bus, train, airplane or just can't go to sleep, play Angry Birds. It will make you happy. And if you have an Android based phone, the game is free (ad supported).

Also, I've been watching the last season of Da Vinci's Inquest. This isn't American Law and Order, but its really good. A narcotics cop turned coroner, Dominic Da Vinci is an awesomely flawed character. I put him up there with Dexter. Except he's not out there killing people. If you need to watch a good (Canadian) drama, go watch Da Vinci's Inquest. I find the story to be a lot more realistic and it portrays this fair city with all its gritty glory, mixing in reality (like the prostitutes murdered on the pig farm) with some things that perhaps was on the books but never got implemented. I am just sad that I didn't watch it when it originally aired, and am watching it out of order (I watched season 1 a while back on Hulu when I was still in the US). (Nicholas Campbell)++.

Oh yeah, Happy New Year. Here's hoping that the blog gets a bit more attention. And here's hoping the year brings happier things to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...