Skip to main content

Barwench, where are your clothes?

I went to this establishment on Nelson street last Saturday called Nelson's cafe. How did we end up there? Well, after walking through some of the less than savoury neighbourhoods of Vancouver, a group of friends and I ended up in Gastown, allegedly heading for an establishment called the Shine. That was however, not to be. The names were not on the guest list and the night was a cold one.

So, off we headed back to Granville Street, looking for a suitable place with a not so long line-up. We saw some spectacular lines at the Caprice , presumably waiting to see the "Rock", saw some sort of line-up outside the Commodore (looked like a Reggae concert) and so on. No luck getting into any place around 11pm on a Saturday night. So, we went to the pizza place next to Stone Temple and then decided to go to Nelson's cafe. Nelson's cafe is this little place on Nelson Street between Granville and Seymour. It is a rather small and comfy place. They have Guiness on tap which is fairly rare in Vancouver. They also had a lady checking ID outside.

I got myself a cup of coffee. Allow me to digress about coffee and bars for a moment. If I could, I would go to bars where they served coffee. I am not saying I want a Starbucks in every bar I go to, but any place with a good cup of coffee is a god-send to those of us who don't like drinking coke all night long. Besides, if you have drunk patrons who are likely going to drive, maybe they can have a cup of coffee and get a bit more alert. Of course, having caffeine and alcohol mix may not be such a good thing, but for those willing to take the risk, good luck to them.

Anyway, so I ordered the coffee from the waitress (whom we shall go into further detail shortly) and it took a while to show up. The fellow who was supposed to make my coffee moonlights as a singer on the stage with the chap who sings and plays the guitar over the weekends. If you go there, buy that fellow (the guitar playing one, not the missing Chef) a Jagermeister; that keeps him occupied. I think he is a decent singer, but music is such a subjective thing that I suggest you subject yourself to the pleasures/tortures of his singing.

So, onto the main topic of this hurried post, the waitress. I cannot recall what colour her hair was, or what her face looked like. That is unfortunate. I do recall her clothing or rather, the lack of it. This dear barwench was not wearing much on her upper-half. Her rather ample breasts were largely uncovered and in your face as you ordered. I was there with 3 gents and a lady. Everyone, including the rather charming lady had a good peek at this waitress' generously sized breasts. They were on display for all to see. You find it inappropriate at first, but when it is so in-your-face and she isn't in the least bit bothered by the rest of us staring, you start to wonder.

Did she dress the way she did for a reason? Probably. I am sure enough people who see her will come back. I will go back. I have told 10 or so people already of her. That is a good business tactic. But does she not feel so used? I mean, I have no such assets to share with the world, but I wouldn't like parading around at my workplace no less, half-clothed. Add to that, inebriated men looking at you inappropriately and you have a rather creepy situation. She seemed to make it through the night unabashed though. She was the picture of efficiency and professional courtesy; she was not overly friendly but she was fair and organised.

There was a bigger group of people sitting next to the bar and one of the women there whipped out her fancy new camera and decided to help the guys with her out; she took a picture of the woman's upper-half. Needless to say, the men were happy. They zoomed into the relevant portions of the picture and had many comments which I could not hear. Of course, by now the Chef had gone AWOL again; he was singing some rock/pop type music with the other fellow.

Of course, one of my companions happened to have a camera. She decided to take a picture of the "assets". I was a little surprised at her motivation for it; I mean, amongst a group of men, you would think the woman would stand up for another one in a less than ideal plight, but this lady took a picture of the waitress. And promised to send it to the rest of us via email. I love technology. Perhaps she has a point; if you dress the way that waitress did, you expect such things. Anyway, if I ever receive that picture, I shall make an effort to put it up here.

Update:
Here's the pic:

Comments

That could most certainly have been a better picture... but, its not that bad. And I don't have to anonymise it.
Chris said…
In the bar business, getting your customers to return, and to tip you heavily, is the bartender's bread and butter. The majority of female bartenders dress in very suggestive or flattering clothing for this very purpose. The fact that you and your friends will return, if for no other reason than to toss back a few cocktails while you chat about her breasts, indicates that her tactic was successful.

In most countries, bartenders and foodservers/cocktail servers are criminally under-paid, and rely upon the generous tips of their customers for their very survival. If you find a place with a server/bartender you like, and he/she provides you good service, I would encourage you to return there whenever you can.

On the other hand, if she is just a bag of flesh, and does not provide good service, Iwould suggest taking your business elsewhere. She is relying on her looks, and not her professional skills, to get her by...

Chris

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l