Skip to main content

Damage of the pocket

This weekend was a damaging one for the pocket. I have learned the art of shopping. I had to cut up my credit card on account of some funny business on part of my managers at work (I still don't get what they were trying to achieve by annoying me that much). I went downtown on Saturday on Grey Cup weekend. That was a fun time. The streets were packed with drunk people. There was even a 3 man pipe band.

Anyway, I have this Christmas thing at work and as such, I like to go to that looking half decent. Its not every day that you see many of your co-workers and other people in a social situation without computers. And, allegedly, I have a date. With a real-live girl no less!

Anyway, I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon walking in and out of stores on Robson Street and Pacific Centre. I saw way too many things and came home with all sorts of things I can't justify needing. I had also gone to this place called Caban. They were having some kind of sale and the place looked and felt like a Wal-Mart for rich people.

Back to downtown. I went into places I never dared/bothered going into before. And in some cases, I came out with stuff I bought. Five or so hours later, I went home just as the inebriated folks were just starting the evening round of partying on account of a sunny day, the Grey Cup, what-have-you.

Saturday night, I went to a neighbourhood pub (not my neighbourhood; the pub was somewhere in Coquitlam I think). The Pepsi cost me $1.50. Pretty decent. Watched a few very drunk people. And I heard my friend say "Say no to crack". He meant the crack in someone's pants.

Sunday, I went to Coquitlam (where it had allegedly snowed the night before) to shop at Coquitlam Centre. The new Park Royal on account of the affinity of Westwood Plateau (where the rich who can't afford to buy in West Vancouver make their homes). I am always amazed by how a different setup makes you see and buy things you would normally avoid. This mall has grown over time and has those fuzzy pink advertisements on transit buses. Frankly, those scare me. Pink buses with words like 'really comfortable shopping' scare me. They remind me of upset stomach medication. You know the one. The one with those idiots prancing around, touching their behinds to the tune of nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhoea, yay... etc.

More shopping. In Coquitlam Centre, the Tristan & America is really nice. I don't know why the one in Pacific Centre makes me not want to go anywhere near that area. It seems like a crime scene or something... no one goes in there. This one probably has the same amount of stuff, just layed out in a nicer way. I ended up getting my belt from there. They had good stuff at Le Château. I got my cuff-links from there. The bill said Men's Jewellery. Kind of weird. But I got what I wanted. Normally, I never go into that store. Mostly because they only sell women's clothing. The only other times I have been in there were with my friend, who had this phase where he bought everything from there.

The Gap here too has some nice stuff, though the ones in downtown are pretty decent too. No Club Monaco here nor is there a Mexx. I did go to the Buffalo store here (again, something I would rarely do when going by the large one on Robson Street) and came out with something. David Bitton is a Canadian I believe. Their Jeans are great. Too bad they are too long for me. Anyway, after doing the rounds in this mall, I went home.

Along the way, I stopped by a friend's place, fixed her MSN issues (sometimes, I get the feeling I have friends who have computer issues everytime they speak to me), consumed a few, very delicious roasted chestnuts and went home. I did the counting after that and so far, I did a little over $500 in damage.

To those of you who eat that much every day, it may sound like chump change. But for me, that is one-fourteenth of my student loan. Which I should have paid off. Instead, I bought clothes. Oh well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l