Skip to main content

Manager from hell

Following up from the welcome back, screw you post, I applied for another position within the company. As part of the rules, you have to make your current manager aware. I did so. I got an email back that asked why I wanted to leave etc, and that my manager will vouch for me. That was Friday. I am thinking... well, that's not too bad, he said he will vouch for me.

Come Tuesday morning (after the long weekend on which I worked), I am taken to Starbucks for a "talk". It was more of a monologue than a real talk. I was told a whole load of things that were untrue/scary. He started off by saying that I shouldn't think I was holding a gun to their heads by threatening to leave. I am thinking, I only applied for a job within the fucking company for god sakes. I was told they could replace me with the next University graduate they get their hands on. I am thinking, good luck with that.

It gets better. I get a lecture on how I am taking the new team down. I am not sure how. I mean the team is barely a week old. And hasn't really done anything at all. I am told that if I don't get the new position, it is best that I find something else to do. And then to cover his ass, he says, or come back and tell me you want to be on this team and contribute. An after thought. How quaint.

I remember someone from the new company telling us how much better the work place is going to be. How your managers would encourage you to move around the company. Well, saying is one thing, doing is an entirely different thing. And as far as I am concerned, all that is just hot air. I am so hoping that I get the new job. SO hoping.

I was told not to take on any new issues, to finish off the current ones. I was told not to talk to the new staff and tell them how bad work has been in the past (wtf?). I was told that my accounts will be transitioned. I was told to come to work on time and leave on time. I was told that I probably don't have what it takes to do my current job (after doing it for 2 years and giving everything I had for it...).

I went back to the office and sure enough the changes began. My accounts were being transitioned to others. Staff were told NOT to speak to me because I was busy on a "project". Work I had already started doing was taken away from me. When things come up, I am ignored. I can help and make a difference but they go out of their way to make sure I cannot participate. The emails from the management are really nice, pointing out how much of a favour they are doing me by transitioning my accounts etc. Covering their asses good. I just wish I had recorded that conversation.

Moral of the story: don't apply for a job within the company unless you manager is not from hell. Or he will make you feel like shit afterwards.

I then had a meeting with the new team's manager. Seems like an angel compared to my current one. I think I did okay on our informal interview. I told him I am keen to move. He asked me why. I told him because I want to learn more, explore more opportunities. Didn't mention my current work situation. Didn't think it would help. But I will blog it.

Wish me luck. I *need* that job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...