Skip to main content

Welcome back, screw you

I have been the recepient of the 'Welcome back, screw you' special from my employer. I am sitting at Singapore airport spending the last few hours of my vacation there and I do the stupid thing and check my office email. Why? Because I was bored and like to know what is going on at work. Amongst the myriad of email, I see the Victoria Day schedule. I see that I am working. Then I see the schedule for the Sunday before Victoria Day (Victoria Day being on the Monday). I see that I am working that day as well. And I am given the choice of whether I want a day off the week after. Are you kidding me?

So... not only do I get an extra-short long weekend, I also get to work at odd hours. Just what I need after my vacation. You would think these people would have some consideration for my sanity but then again why should they? Things like this not only piss me off, they also add to the list of grievances I have against these lovely folks.

So the next time you are in Singapore airport and get the urge to check your office email, don't. Or you will get the Welcome Back, Screw You special to think about on your 18 hour flight back. With a sick old lady sitting next to you trying to throw up. But that's another story for another time.

Instead, go eat at the airport. Go out of the airport. Go see the 6 gardens within the airport. Buy all the things you didn't need. Like the $132 dollar bottle of Krug I got!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...