Skip to main content

My first week of work in DC

I feel like I have a new job. Well, I do. I work for a software company based out of Washington DC. I switched departments to the product development team and am part of the performance engineering team. There is so much to learn and so much to do.

So, how was the first week? Well, for one, it was interesting. When I got to DC, it was warm. I couldn't find food late at night (I got out of my hotel after 10pm) and had to adjust to the way the folks here speak... they sound rude but I guess they are just like that, they are not really rude people.

Since then, I started working in the office, met tonnes of people and made friends. Met my new manager, he's a charming person with a million ideas. I had lunch at a few Mexican type places and am quite impressed. I ate at Baja Fresh and Chipotle. Good stuff there. There are a few places around the office with food around breakfast time... au bon pain, cosi's and corner bakery. Most are not open over the weekend... as I learned today. I did go to au bon pain today and ended up spilling coffee all over their floor. Sorry.

There are some Canadians here and I thank god for that. They make my time here reasonable. The hotel I stay in has high speed internet access but it is not free. It was for the first couple of days. So I end up staying in the office late to get my work done/finish with my internet access. I learned a few things here:
- I don't know the city at all
- I don't think there are any grocery stores anywhere close by
- Internet access is weird here
- The temp housing on N Street is really nice
- I can't find a 7-11 here
- Buy phones through amazon.com
- Alcohol like Scotch in Virginia (close by) isn't that cheap
- Poppies like the one I wear (for Remembrance Day) bring questions

I am working in the office still on Vancouver stuff and its late on a Saturday. Weird huh?

I got Skype working here and I can finally call people. I even got credits to call home and I ended up doing so. I have yet to talk to some of my friends in Vancouver even though I've tried to call them.

More Canadians are coming into the DC office next week, it should be fun to have them all here. We have an offsite going on here, so I shouldn't feel alone that much. This city will slowly have lots of people I know soon enough and we will bring a little bit of Canada to the capital of the United States.

That's it for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l