Skip to main content

Christmas Eve

Why, its Christmas Eve already! A couple of things that stand out for me this year. I still don't have a TV. No this isn't a message to jolly old St. Nick telling him that I want a 50" plasma TV. I'll buy it myself. Besides, I have no chimney. The reason I put the TV bit here is to express the joy of not being bombarded by annoying Christmas advertisements. No more, jesus was born a couple of millennia ago and now you need to buy this cell phone with this amazing feature at a price that can't be beaten... no more you need to buy this car (a Japanese luxury one) so you can wrap it with these ugly bows and surprise your significant other... none of that bollocks. Why? Because I have not a TV, nor do I have a functioning radio! Just the blessed Interweb thingy.

I've had to do very little if any Christmas shopping. I am staying in DC. I am spending Christmas alone. I am sure there will be many emails forwarded and sent, facebook wall postings etc on the blessed day. Those ought to keep me busy. I've been on vacation for over a week now. It has been good. I've accomplished very little though. And I feel bad that I have done so. Watching episodes of Top Gear isn't really what I consider productive... but they do have some merit. They feed the soul as it were.

I've also been Geiger free for a week. I can't tell you how nice it is to be free of Geiger. I am sure everyone has at least one Geiger in their life. Getting away from the Geiger is a great morale-booster.

This is my second Christmas in Washington DC, the first one in my apartment. I spent last Christmas in the temporary housing provided by the company I work for. I do miss my family and friends and Vancouver. I was never really a fan of Christmas... it feels like its all about buying and giving things to people. Things that take up space, consume electricity and things you have lived without until then. It is sad how materialistic we are (yes, I know it is a cliché) as a society. We want things. New things, shiny things, better and faster things, smaller things. Maybe we should all just stop with the buying of things. Maybe we should go out there and do something. Like build a house or plant a tree or something. For those amongst us who may not have much to cheer for.

It gets bugger cold out in DC. I see plenty of homeless. It bothers me. I saw this lady taken out of the Barnes and Noble in Georgetown the other day late in the evening. I went looking for the Christmas edition of the Economist. They were sold out. Anyway. They left the lady on the bench outside. She was falling over. Lord knows, probably she was intoxicated or worse. I assume she has no place to sleep in. I have a $1200 bed. I love it. It keeps me warm. I think of folks like that every time I wake up on my comfortable bed and have a moment to ponder. I am by no means a minimalist. But I do hate having so much excess when there are people around me who are so unfortunate.

I know, the old argument goes that these people are lazy and chose their own destiny. They chose to live on the street and suffer the cold. They chose to beg for money from passers by. Yeah right. Unless you're made of hydrocarbons that I am not made of... you're going to feel cold out there. And miserable. So, screw that theory. These people are out there. We are not sure why. We know they likely want to get out of that life. They may not be able to. They may squander multiple chances. But they deserve better. Why not make Christmas about helping these folks? I don't mean giving them a handout and being done with it. That makes you feel better. And I'm sure it feeds them for a bit or something... but really, it doesn't solve the problem. But what is the problem? Lack of affordable housing? Lack of skills? Lack of humanity? Lack of political will? I don't know. I just hate seeing people suffer when they shouldn't have to. They deserve the dignity the rest of us have. Of waking up in a warm and dry bed. Of going to the kitchen and making a cup of coffee. Of not having to listen to annoying Christmas commercials about those damn cell phones.

So, Santa Claus or Jesus or whoever is out there keeping cosmic score, counting the naughty and nice stuff: that's what I want for Christmas. I'll buy myself a TV. You take on the bigger problem of poverty. I'll be happy. I promise. And skip the lumps of coal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l