Skip to main content

Red Lists and Appendices

A lot has been going on recently in life and the world. I've been thinking about what I am doing here and why I am here. Who am I? What is my purpose in life? What works me up into a passionate frenzy?

I am no philosopher, but I've been thinking about what it is that excites me. There are plenty of things that do. Cars do. Women do. Sadly, some of the servers I get to play with (I mean a 16-core SunFire box is awesome... but for what?) excite me, politics does, seemingly useless knowledge does. Food does. Learning does. Science does. When I was young, I wanted to fly jet aircraft. Many young boys dream of that I suppose. I saw MiGs and Mirages in action on a military airfield in North India when I was 9. That was one of the most awesome nights I have had. Me, twin-engined MiGs, single-engined Mirages, darkness, afterburners, the deafening noise of the engines on that deserted runway excited me. I still love the spectacle of a military airplane.

Biology excites me. I've had my own make-shift lab since I was a kid... when I tried putting a fish in a bottle and putting ice in the bottle. The fish stopped swimming. I switched it back to the normal tank it was from. It recovered. I put it in the icy water again. It slowed down. Probably not an ethical bit of research to do. Probably stressed the creature out. So, how did I end up giving up on biology? I don't know if that is a fair thing to say. I am still intimately involved in biology. I have mouldy bread lying about sometimes.

Today, I looked through the 2007 IUCN Red List. Sort of like a catalogue like you get from a department store or something. Except this one is full of sad stories. The Red List is a listing of endangered flora and fauna based on different scales going from least concern to extinct. Its amazing how many creatures are near extinction. I looked through the EW group (EW stands for Extinct in the Wild). There were some interesting creatures there. Many plants too. Like the single Hyophorbe amaricaulis that exists in Mauritius. Most people wouldn't think twice about extinct plants. But they do go extinct. Most people, if you mention extinction would probably say tiger or pandas or something to that effect. Who cares about some palm tree right? We should care though. Plants provide vast amounts of raw materials. For industry. For medicines. For life.

On the list was the Panthera leo leo. The somewhat mythical Barbary Lion. It went the way of the Atlas Bear. They both lived in Northern Africa. Many things are interesting in this. There are no more endemic bears in Africa. Geography and Biology have things in common. Many theories on the genetics of species come from Geography. An example? Well, how about Panthera leo persica and Panthera leo europa? One theory is that during the Cenozoic era, with Gondwanaland breaking up and heading toward Laurasia, evolving mammals on the super-continent went on both. Such a theory would support the presence of the Lion, Elephant, Rhino on two continents today. We could probably get better validation of the fact if lets say, there was mitochondrial DNA analysis done between two similar (though divergent) species of the common mammal and some conclusions were drawn. The only problem is... during the Pleistocene era, there were many genetic bottlenecks (for some species anyway; the big cats are a good example of that) and a lot of diversity is said to be lost...

Anyway, forgetting all that for a moment, and try and figure out what these lists serve? I know they serve for fringe environmental organisations to worry about nature and human impact on it. Really though, what chance is there for any change? I recall a couple of things from my childhood that made me wonder about this. Project Tiger was supposed to be India's way of saving the majestic cat. What happened? They inflated numbers, poaching still goes on and the population has grown by the size of Australia every year for the past twenty. Where do these people go? Well, they clear forests. They clear grassland. They kill/burn/eat whatever they need to survive. You can't really blame them for trying. And I think its hardly fair to blame the government for turning a blind eye... if they have to choose between tigers and people who vote, guess what? The voters win. Democracy is a beautiful thing.

Anyway, quite the rant so far. I'll quit while I am ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l