Skip to main content

How does this make any sense?

So I woke up Saturday to a headline that hundreds of people were killed in Gaza because of Israeli bombing raids in Gaza. Apparently, F-16s are dropping shit from the sky at people on the ground. Nothing new here, those two (or maybe 3 now?) sides have been at it for a while now. Hamas sends rockets at border towns, Israel retaliates. Fair enough. But the response from the World's solely remaining super power is a but messed up if I may call it that. Here's what the outgoing Secretary of State had to say about the whole thing:
"We strongly condemn the repeated rocket and mortar attacks against Israel and hold Hamas responsible for breaking the ceasefire and for the renewal of violence there. The ceasefire must be restored immediately and fully respected."
How's that again madam Secretary? Hamas bombs Israel. Check. Israel retaliates. Check. Qassam rockets? Check. Big freaking bombs from F-16s that kill lots of people? Check. Well, how the hell does it make sense to strongly condemn the rocket and mortar attacks and not really the bombs from planes? How about a token 'use caution and avoid civilian deaths' note? How about a open the border so these poor sods can get fuel, food and medicines along with the condemnation of rockets and mortar attacks? How about a please try not to invade Gaza and kill more people? I guess not eh.

If America wants to genuinely solve the problem in the middle east (and maybe they don't feel like it, need to nor should they), then America should try and try very hard not to look partisan in the face of the deaths of hundreds of people. I am sure many were militants. I am sure many deserved it. I am sure Israel had the right to defend itself. I am sure dropping a nuclear bomb was the right thing to do to end a dying war... But really, if you want us to believe that you're serious about trying to help the situation there (or anywhere else), try and be a bit objective. Militants or not, hundred of human lives are just that... human lives. Don't take this as sympathy for those terrorists who run the show in Gaza. They are, for all intents and purposes, militants, terrorists, criminals and what not. But not everyone there is a militant. And not everyone there is living there by choice. And not everyone there wakes up in the morning and chants, death to Israel, death the America, death to the infidels. They probably wonder what they're going to eat for lunch and feed their kids and how they're going to find fuel to run their cars or tractors and who's going to help pick the olives or whatever. Indiscriminate attacks using warplanes and precision guided munitions on those populations is no better than a terrorist firing rockets at civilians.

So madam Secretary, I hope you sleep well tonight. May the ghosts of those that were killed on all sides haunt you. And maybe your President as well. And who knows, the next time you talk about something like this... you will condemn violoence of all forms. Whether they are initiated by terrorists firing rockets at civilians or armed forces firing precision munitions at civilians. And for god's sakes, do something about it. Because you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l