Skip to main content

Life, post BlackBerry

Due to an unfortunate incident with some snow and a bout of silliness, my dear beloved BlackBerry's keyboard decided to give up on me. And along the way, after trying many older telephones and buying a new one even, one of my co-workers dropped off his Google (well, HTC) Nexus One.

Life hasn't quite been the same since. On the one hand, this device is leaps and bounds better than my berry. It has a nice touch screen, and most of google's apps are front and centre. More importantly, it has a great browser and enough apps to satisfy anyone who has an app fetish. Incidentally, it doesn't have flash installed (I didn't install it on purpose), and that actually stops a great deal of terrible pop-up advertisements (one of the banes of the PlayBook).

I installed Swype on it to type and am impressed by it. It seems to learn well enough and is quite forgiving with my fat fingers swiping over the wrong words. Prior to Swype, I was using the stock Android keyboard, and found it quite frustrating, likely because my fingers were fatter than the soft keyboard's letters.

 Now, onto the frustrating parts. I have used a few touch screen devices in my day. I can't think of any that worked well. There is something about my fingers and the screen whereby I cannot touch where I want to. In the case of keyboards, I get the wrong letters, in the case of other things, I click on the wrong link or whatever. It frustrates me. With this phone especially, when I try and use it lying down (I wake up, I see emails, I try and respond, while not wearing my glasses), I find it really hard to use. It could be that they don't work as well upside down or something, but in any case, I usually give up and deal with it later. I also found the four buttons at the bottom very annoying. For example, instead of hitting space on the keyboard, I sometimes end up hitting the home button on the phone. Now, whatever I was typing is still saved and I can usually get back to it, but it leads to frustration on my end.

I found the lack of simple things quite annoying. For example, I wanted to use a timer the other day. I had something in the oven and my friend was in the coffee shop the next block over. So, I told him I'd meet him there, but I had to be back in about 50 minutes. My oven has a timer. I use that, but you can't leave things sitting in there post-cooking because it will get over-cooked (even though the oven turns off). My phone, it doesn't have a timer. It has a clock, it has an alarm. No timer. I have to download an app for that. Why?

I found the framework via which things are sent across apps etc lacking. For example, I am looking at the location of a place to meet my friend. I click on it and you get the option of sending it. Except, you can't do it via google talk. Guess how I am conversing with my friend? That's right. He's on his android phone as well. Now, yes, you can email someone. You can use latitude or something, but that's not the point. It should just work.

Viewing contacts was annoying. On the berry, everything about the contact is in one place. All your numbers, all your email addresses etc. Let's say my mother calls me from her office and I missed the call. I see that she called me and am about to call her back. If I call back the number, she's already left work. So, I need to find her mobile number. I have to now go into my call log, find her, look into the contact and then click the right number. You know what my berry had? You go to the number and when you click the menu, you are presented with a bunch of communication options: call phone x, phone y, email on x, y, sms etc etc. Because when I am in the phone history area, I am likely to do what? Try and communicate with the person. I know it is a small thing, but it is important.

I am looking forward to my contract with Bell ending in August and the release of a new BlackBerry 10 device. I am a bit apprehensive as to what the folks at RIM have created, especially given that it is a touch screen. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and buy in. We'll see how it goes I suppose. 

I can't say enough how much I miss my BlackBerry. They really are made for people who get things done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l