Skip to main content

My thoughts on the farce that is the Duffy trial

Unless you have been living in a cave, or just chosen to be completely out of touch with the news in Canada, and you live in Canada, you will have heard of the on-going saga that is the Mike Duffy trial. Duffy faces 31 charges, some of which are pretty serious: fraudulent expenses, bribery, breach of trust etc. 

The short version of the story is, Senator Mike Duffy claimed expenses associated with travelling on partisan affairs (i.e. he was out at Conservative party election campaigns) and per diems for housing which, by most reasonable people, appear to be incorrect, if not illegal. He asked the Senate, and by extension, the tax payers to foot the bill.

His sordid housing story leads back to his appointment as a Senator from Prince Edward Island. A small detour on this. The Senate rules on housing are a bit vague. It goes something like this. If a senator owns $4000 worth of property in the province, they are deemed to be a "resident" and therefore eligible to be appointed to the Senate of Canada as a representative of the Province.  I am sure there is a bit more detail to that, but that was what Prime Minister Stephen Harper used for residency requirements when he appointed Mr. Duffy as a Senator from PEI. Canada has a provincial quota based Senate, so the Prime Minister of the day can appoint people from the appropriate Province (or Territory) to fill in the vacancies for that province. Duffy fit the hole for PEI. He owns a cottage in Cavendish, PEI. Except, owning a summer cottage that one may or may not use for a week or two a year doesn't quite pass muster as far as residency goes. It might meet the letter of the law, but I doubt anyone buys it.  Duffy spent most of the past 40 or so years in Ottawa, as a journalist in case anyone is wondering how burnished his Islander credentials are.

Back to the trial. So far, we have heard from various people in the Prime Minister's Office. The star witness for the Crown is Nigel Wright, the business man (and then chief of staff of the Prime Minister) who decided to pay back the taxpayers Duffy's inaccurate or incorrect expenses. Mr. Wright is apparently a man of good character, someone who is above reproach. And yet, inexplicably, he thought it made sense to pay off $90,000 of Mike Duffy's inappropriate expenses and casually forgot to mention to his boss, the Prime Minister that he had done so. Instead, somehow, they all cooked up this story that Duffy had taken out a mortgage on his house in Ottawa and paid off the expenses. So, Mr. Wright was doing right by the taxpayers. And participating in a lie. And somehow failing in his duty to his boss. Oh, did he mention that he didn't tell anyone else he worked with? Like his assistant Ray Novak. Who just so happens to be the Prime Minister's current chief of staff. Conveniently forgot.

The Prime Minister himself has said various contradictory statements both inside and outside the House. At first, he was surprised that someone else had paid Duffy's expenses. He had apparently told Duffy he had to pay his own bills. He was full of praise for his chief of staff for doing the right thing and selflessly ensuring the taxpayer wasn't dinged for errant mistakes made by a Senator. When no one bought that story, he accepted his chief of staff's resignation. He then blamed Nigel for lying to him. For misleading him. For deliberately hiding the truth. Bad Nigel. But he had the good sense to resign. Then Nigel was fired. Nigel didn't resign after all. You see, he was such a bad person that the PM had to fire him. So, it went from being good Nigel to bad Nigel to horrid Nigel. 

Along the way, there have been so many other people involved. Senators from the Conservative party who are a majority on various Senate committees tried to doctor independent audits to take Duffy's name out of it (he paid his bills, nothing more to see here right?), called up Deloitte and asked them to change findings in reports etc. 

The Prime Minister's legal advisor at the time, a now tenured professor at UBC, apparently disagreed with much of what Mr. Wright has said. Ben Perrin told the trial that he disagreed on Duffy meeting the residency requirements, and a whole slew of other things. But he stuck around and did the legal work to verify that the t's were crossed and i's dotted in the agreement between Duffy and Wright regarding the secret payment Wright made. And now he is free to be more honest because his livelihood does not depend on the PM. Tenure is a wonderful thing isn't it?

The Conservative party is hiding the PM's current chief of Staff on a bus or plane somewhere, and sticking to its lines: bad Duffy and horrid Nigel. The rest of the actors in and around the PMO who were emailed/cc'ed etc have an excellent defence: your honour, I-did-not-read-my-emails. Your honour, I-was-in-the-room,-but-I-was-not-paying-attention-to-the-discussions. Your honour, 'we-are-good-to-go-from-the-Prime-Minister' means-that-the-Prime-Minister-is-good-to-go-get-some-frozen-yoghurt-from-the-new-shop-down-the-street,-not-that-he-approved-the-repayment-of-Mr. Duffy's-payments-by-Nigel-Wright. Why does your honour not trust me when I say that???

At the end of the day, the case is about a bad Senator paying back the tax payer for illegal expenses he filed. R is trying to nail Duffy for illegal expenses, breach of trust etc. And, these people are Crown witnesses. The R stands for Regina in case anyone is wondering. 

I have no idea why the RCMP have not had a case against all these witnesses in addition to Duffy. The whole lot of them need to be tried, and if they still have wildly divergent stories and nonsense defences like, I-get-about-1000-emails-a-day-and-didn't-read-the-one-you-referred-to-until-2-months-later-when-shit-hit-the-fan, then we need to figure out what a way of finding them in contempt of court or of just being plain stupid. I don't know what is worse, that Duffy may  get away with trying to cheat Canadians or that the Crown is using questionably characters, liars and cheats as witnesses in the hopes of convicting a fraudulent Senator.

I hope Canadians vote in the upcoming election and that politicians, civil servants, partisan activists, whatever, at least live within the rules of the land rather than just make a mockery of our democracy, our government and our courts. I can't wait to see what the judge will find in this trial and what else the public will find out about the people they elected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l