Skip to main content

Of carpets made of flowers and mythical footsteps

As I write this, I can smell rain. You know that smell. Dig deep into your olfactory memories. It is that smell at the onset of the monsoon season. For those of you who have never experienced a real monsoon, it is that smell when rain falls on parched land. It releases that smell. I don't know if it has a word to describe it, but I know what it is. Well, my nose does. The first time I read the God of Small Things I wanted to get on a plane and go home. Arundhati Roy does a brilliant job of describing the rain and Kerala in general. That home exists only in my mind, but anyway.

In the midst of an unprecedented draught, rain is finally falling on this parched rain forest. I am so happy. Back to the story at hand. Another happy story. As a child, I would have been looking forward to the 10 or so days off at this time of the year (well, it depends on something called a sidereal solar calendar which isn't in sync with the Gregorian calendar we use). People would make these elaborate designs out of rice flour likely and add in flowers to decorate them inside their house, outside their house, wherever. 

I remember one year practising drawing a design on paper and then trying to scale that out to something much larger and failing. Drawing was never quite my forte. Onam is a festival in Kerala to celebrate various things; the rice harvest, the return of the mythical king Mahabali, a reason to get 10 days away from homework. It is something of a homecoming for Kerala's primary export, its people. I remember all kinds of people waiting for their near and dear ones to come home for Onam from Dubai or Madras or wherever they had left for. 

The school I went to used to organise competitions between the 'houses' in school. A house is a sub grouping in school. You got assigned to one and had badges and things. There were all kinds of competitions between houses. Personally, I liked the flower carpet competition. I have no idea how many flowers are used in Kerala during Onam, but suffice to say, it is serious business. Valentine's Day has nothing on it. If you browse an image sharing site like Flickr or something, you will come across some really gorgeous pieces of elaborate art work out there. There is something beautiful about these intricate designs filled up with petals of various colourful flowers. Something peaceful and joyous. 

The story of the footsteps now. The legend goes something like this. Mahabali, or Maveli as he is known in Kerala was an Asura King who seemed to adored by his subjects. Somehow this was an issue for various gods in the Hindu pantheon and they asked lord Vishnu to do something about it. Vishnu came to see him as Vamana, a brahmin boy. The king wanted to offer the brahmin boy something. Vamana asked for enough land that 3 steps or paces would take and Maveli obliged. Except Vamana could take some rather large steps. He took earth and heaven with his first two steps. And, since Maveli didn't have a whole lot left (talk about being generous!), he offered his head for the third step. Vamana stepped on him and sent him to the nether world. But before he went, he asked to be allowed to come visit his people once a year. And so people celebrate Onam to celebrate the return of Maveli. 

I can't remember the last time I was in Kerala for an Onam festival. But I want to go. One day I will see the snake boat races. That was not really a thing where I lived. I want to go see the Nehru Trophy boat race. Think of it as dragon boat racing on steroids. I want to try my hand at filling a flower carpet. And eating some really delicious food. Seriously delicious traditional Kerala food.

And, for all those times when people have asked me what we do in Kerala for Baisakhi or Deepavali... I don't really recall anything special happening. Yes, Kerala is part of India, and yes these things are Indian festivals. But not quite the same in Kerala. As Doug Allan, one of the camera guys who worked with Sir David Attenborough on various ocean related videos (Blue Earth, Frozen Planet) said, Antarctica is rather large place, so asking me what it was like to dive in 'Antarctica' is a bit silly. He was on the BBC yesterday. Kerala is a bit like that. It is part of India. But different. We celebrate the return of benevolent demon kings with flower carpets. And bursting a lot of fireworks for Vishu. I like to think we're the most special, but that's just me. Anyway, for those who celebrate, I hope there is a delicious sadya somewhere and flower carpets to admire. I best go to sleep as I have to work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Blogger beta woes

I said in my earlier post that I had switched to Blogger beta. Since this has become more popular on account of the richer media available, a lot of blogs I follow have switched. I use the live bookmarks feature of Firefox to index and read the blogs... but sad to say, when I try to load the atom.xml file... I now get some crap from Yahoo!. I hate change. I embrace it willingly when I have to (as I do with beta software etc) but when something works the way I like it... I like it. If someone knows how to fix this so the live bookmarks work again in Firefox, do let me know.