Skip to main content

Boxing Day/Week/Month

I originally wanted to title this Shopping with Liz, but decided to add more Shopping stuff to the list. Anyway, I did go shopping with my co-worker (and shopping guru Liz) to Metrotown.

I have never really went shopping with a girl before. For the most part, I am not a big fan of shopping anyway. Here's how a male Homo sapien usually does shopping, at least in North America:
- Research what we want
- Find out the cheapest price etc
- Find out where to get it
- Go there, buy it and leave

Now, that is not quite how females of the same species function. Shopping with Liz was an eye-opener. For one, they want to go to every shop there is. I would never do that. I am in and out in a jiffy. But I learned something. There are pretty girls in some of those stores. It is worth going into them just for that. Before you say that is pathetic, think about my life for a minute: I work with a lot of men... and computer geeks. I work a lot of hours. I don't really see a lot of women. So, any exposure to pretty things at the mall... is a good thing.

I also learned that when they say they are going in for a few minutes, they really mean more like half an hour. It helps that stores have some stuff for guys. Of course, I thought I saw all of it in less time than it takes to read this post. But I may have been wrong. On closer inspection, there was a lot of stuff I missed. Who knew!

Anyway, after the shopping (the mall closed at 9pm), I went home by bus, talked to some chick who works in the mall for a bit, tried to find the Canucks score (they won 4-3) on my blackberry (and it took 40 minutes, geez!) and so on.

I went shopping again on Friday (December 30). I went downtown, then to Metrotown to meet my friends and continue with the shopping, then went back to downtown (skytrain is wonderful) and then went home. I even managed a trip to the gym. Cost? I stopped counting after I hit $300. Most of the stuff was just funny t-shirts, I did end up buying a pair of shoes on account of the leak in my current one. My new shoes are pretty shiny; not to worry, I shall scuff them up quickly. They do smell of new shoes too. And they cost me a fair bit. Anytime there is a BIG sign that says 50% off, read the fine-print or you will likely pick up shoes thinking they are a great bargain when they are not really that great a bargain.

I did go to Holt Renfrew in the morning of that day to see some Diesel stuff, but nothing caught my fancy. I did see a few other places with decent stuff in Metrotown, but didn't have time to look at them all. There will be another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...