Skip to main content

I had a day off!

My last vacation from work was on the 22nd of April. That was incidentally also the day I took a flight from Chennai, India to Vancouver. Well, its happened again. I took a day off work. And I had no choice. It was either take the day off or lose it. You see, we have a certain number of days off work and if we don't use all but 5 of them (which I am moving to next year), we lose them. So... I took Friday off. Made a long weekend of it. It was quite nice.

I accomplished a lot on my day off. I got a bunch of things that I haven't had time to do for ever done. I was on the phone for an hour for work. I went to work. Well, I took chocolates to my work place and to my former work-place. I got hugged by a bunch of people there... and so forth. Godiva seems to make people do that. I went to the gym, I even went bowling after that. I went to the newly renovated BC Liquor Store on 39th and Cambie (and may I say it was impressive), I even dared to go into the mall... Oakridge was too close to give it a miss. I am glad to say I got out of there and out of there quickly, alive and in one piece. They have the only Benetton store I have seen in North America. And it only seemed to have stuff for women. I remember the Benetton store in Chennai. They had stuff for men.

I take 2 more days off work this year. Christmas eve eve. And New Years eve eve. But I work on Christmas and Boxing Day. Fun times ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...