Skip to main content

Goodbye Jack

I've spent half my life in North America. I've spent the other half of my life in Asia and Africa. Well, mostly in Asia. I think I have seen a lot of interesting politics over my short lifespan thus far. I was born in a state run by democratically elected Communists. Not quite the they-will-kill-your-kids-and-eat-them-for-lunch kind of Communists that some may have heard of. They were more socialist in their ways. They spent time and money on somewhat sane things. Like basic healthcare. And going on strikes.

Vancouver has been home for a little over 13 years now. I've watched a lot of Canadian politics over that time. From the venerable Jean Chretien (I think he was great, even if so many Canadians seem to dislike him, I have no idea why they do, but they seem to), to my former MP Svend Robinson, I've seen a lot of good and not-so-good people out there trying to run our countries. 

And then there was Jack Layton. He was an interesting sort of guy; he rode a bike, had a funny moustache and had some progressive and some crazy  ideas. I am not a big fan of our current government (or the past ones for that matter), but I have some reservations about seeing Jack and his ilk run my country. Perhaps that was misguided though. 

Jack inspired us all I think. Whether you believe in his brand of politics or not, he was steadfast in what he believed in. He charmed his way up to becoming leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, unseating the Liberals in the last federal election. Nevermind that most of it was at the expense of the Bloc (which is a good thing; the last thing I want to see is my country carved into 2 by separatists). He even seemed to win against cancer. But then he didn't. I saw his last press conference when he said he was going to step down for a bit and go fight that cancer. 

And then, I was woken up one morning by the radio saying that Jack Layton had died. It was indeed a very sad day. The sense of sadness and profound respect that the nation had for this man and his ways was something amazing to see. And his last words to us
And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one – a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world’s environment.
They genuinely inspire me. I know these are the words of a man who knows that his time is up, and pretty much anything he says will be thought of as wonderful... but here he is, urging us to make our country and our world a better place. And that too, in a rather eloquent way. 

So to you Jack, from me, a hearty thank you for trying an making this country; my country, our country a better place and for inspiring us to do better and make a more just society. As an immigrant to this great land, I have felt a lot of things; envy, joy, sadness and above all, inclusiveness. I don't know if you or your party deserve any credit for it, but I'll share it with you and all of Canada. I have felt at home here, even if I don't completely understand how hockey makes us go bonkers and set stuff on fire or how we put up with the crazy amounts of rain and cold that come our way... or how we all fret about our beloved social welfare state... but I know that  I am home whenever I land at the airport and there is almost nowhere I'd rather be on almost any given day.

Goodbye Jack. You have done a lot for us. And we shall never forget your ideas, your thoughts and your wishes for us. Rest in peace good sir. Merci.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...