Skip to main content

Some things cut across boundaries

My Turkish friend and I have a ritual. He sends me a link of something from Turkey. It usually involves music (My favourite thus far is still moustache man ibrahim tatlıses playing the baglama). I find the Indian analogue. It is kind of scary. You see and hear the same sorts of instruments. But the music is different. Yet familiar. The other day, I was listening to a Malayalam song. I do that from time to time... to ensure I still understand it (that's a joke by the way). It mentioned Omar Khayyam. I asked the Turkish fellow about Omar Khayyam. And he knew who he was. With a slightly different name but still, the same Omar Khayyam. Bonus points to anyone who points out which Malayalam song that came from. I am still at a bit of a loss as to how it made it into the song. The only place I can find is that the Rubáiyát was translated in the 1930s by G. Sankara Kurup. But for whatever reason, there it is. 

Nevermind that Omar Khayyam, by all measures, is a polymath and genius and someone that, had he been English or French perhaps would have been that much more recognised. And yet, he should be familiar. He studied at Samarkand. That place has contributed to Indian history in plenty of ways.

He wrote about wine. As in consuming wine. He is supposed to have written the following verse: 
"Enjoy wine and women and don't be afraid, Allah has compassion,"

So where am I going with this? Well, I don't really know. But I find it fascinating that there are so many shared experiences we as people have. The Turkish fellow sent me link to someone playing something called a Mey. I swear I have heard it before. Mind you, it isn't that much of a stretch to imagine something like this developing in these parts of the world. After all, we have all met each other culturally along the way. Conquered each other and brought ideas and music along with us as we went on. We just didn't have precision guided munitions and jets to do the dirty work. 

Years ago (and perhaps I have recounted this story before) when I first came to Canada and was in grade 12, my lab partner's was this Ghanaian chap. Ekow and I were sitting in the lab trying to sort something out when we decided to ask the Japanese girl in front of us. You see, she was Japanese by heritage. She was born in Canada, but her parents stuck her with a Japanese name. Anyway, somewhere between trying to figure something out with a piece of lab equipment and a Japanese girl, we stumbled upon our shared knowledge of this NHK story about a Japanese grocery chain owner's story. Her name was Oshin. I remember Ekow and I being super excited that we had seen the same show all those years past, in different countries. The Japanese girl was clueless as to who Oshin was or why it was significant to Ekow and I. Poor woman. Anyway. I've mentioned this story from time to time to others... and my Persian friends have also had similar reactions. When I say Oshin, their eyes tend to light up. I guess NHK was busy exporting Oshin to the world. Honestly, I still try and recall what language I saw it in. The Persians watched it in Farsi, but I am fairly certain that it was dubbed into English for those of us watching on Doordarshan. I can't imagine it being in Japanese and sub-titled. I've seen a few episodes on youtube and I am still not certain which type I watched as a kid.

It is often hard to explain your heritage to an outsider. But then again, I think over time, what I think of heritage changes. I have this mental block of India. It is from 15 years ago when I left. When Tendulkar was still young (not that he isn't brilliant even today) and cable TV was still a novelty. The India of 1996 lives only in my mind. I've been to the India of 2008, and I am fascinated by it. It has that woman host butchering the Malayalam language in idea star singers. Everything in the India of 2008 seems to have something to do with SMS. My version of India was simpler somehow. But back to trying to explain my interpretation of heritage and culture to outsiders. Sometimes, rituals, belief systems and social norms are just not obvious to outsiders. But every so often, when you make the effort, you end up being enlightened. Someone else has something similar. Instead of 14 days it is 41 days. Instead of 6 strings, it has 7 strings.

I am convinced that we as a world are a lot more closely related to each other than we believe. We tend to amplify the differences between ourselves to claim niches or superiority. And yet, just beneath that competitive surface lies a whole maze of interconnected thoughts, shared ideas, common ideals and belief systems that make us more of the same than not.

I am curious what peoples experiences have been with others. Have you had that 'Aha' moment where you realise that something you thought was uniquely yours is no longer so?

Oh yeah, before I forget, go read Omar Khayyam's works. Read Khalil Gibran's works. Read Henry James. Heck, read Julian Barnes (for he won the Booker prize yesterday). And rejoice in the brilliance that is the human mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l