Skip to main content

My thoughts on Prisoner of Tehran

I finished reading Prisoner of Tehran a while back and wanted to write up my thoughts on it here. I have to say that Iran has been a fascination of mine for a while. I am not sure why, but I find Persian history quite interesting. 

The book goes over an interesting time in Iran; a despotic Shah gets overthrown, an Ayatollah comes into power. In between these events, the protagonist in the story goes through a lot. 

Anyway, if you intend to read the book, stop as I will go into details of the book. The book was written by an Iranian Christian  who now calls Canada home. As a 16-year old, she was put in prison as a political prisoner, beaten, tortured and so forth. She seems to be in an impossible situation: being sentenced to death and then saved by a prison guard, with a caveat that she change religions, and get married to him. Oh and be in prison for life. As a 16 year old. 

Most 16-year old children, for they are children, don't have to worry about spending the rest of their life in prison. It isn't the sort of thing that comes up one would hope. And yet, here were a group of children and young adults going to prison to protest the Shah, and then the Ayatollah. The protagonist goes into some detail of how she was tortured and what she thought happened to the others. I am sure torture exists everywhere in the world... but reading about it makes one feel quite uncomfortable. You really have to wonder how badly you must have pissed someone off to get beaten to a pulp by angry men. 

The protagonist seems to be lucky though, if you could call it luck; one of her prison guards takes a fancy to her, presumably races off to the Ayatollah (he seems to be from a well connected family) and somehow convinces him to commute her death sentence to one of perpetual imprisonment. And then he suggests that she marry him after converting to Islam, if you could call that a suggestion. As a prisoner, it doesn't sound like she has much of a choice. It is either death or marriage. As a married woman, I think she finds some odd things. For one thing, her new family seems to have all the affection in the world for her. She seems conflicted that her captor's parents seem to love her more than her own family ever did. She also seems to be deeply conflicted by how to feel towards her captor, saviour and husband. Her relationship with her own family prior to imprisonment is quite telling as well. They didn't seem to be a very loving family.

Anyway, there seems to be some level of fatalism out there; first she gets pregnant (presumably thanks to her captor and husband) and then he dies tragically by gunshots as she watches. Somewhere along the way, the trauma of it all causes her to miscarry. With her husband dead, she goes back to prison with a promise from her father-in-law that he will do everything to get her out. He seems to come through for her. He protects her while she was in prison and eventually get her out. She is free to go on with life, and of course, she gets married to the Christian fellow she wanted to marry before she went to prison. Except that everyone is watching everyone else in Iran it seems and apostasy isn't really looked upon favourably. Of course, word of her marriage seems to get to her former in-laws and the prison guards. And yet, they seem to protect her. And somehow at the end of it all, she makes it out of Iran to Canada.

I learned a lot of neat things about Iran through the book. I had no idea there were so many Russians who lived there. Although, given geography (as in, North of the Caspian), it shouldn't be that surprising. I also had no idea other people lived there (like the Hungarians). I am also conflicted on how to feel for this woman. On the one hand, she was treated horribly if the story she tells us is true (at least the way things transpired). Well, in any case, if a 16-year old is thrown in prison and tortured or sentenced to death, there isn't much justice out there. But then, given her lease on life (and a different kind of horrible sentence), she still seems to not be able to get on with life. I can understand her hatred for her husband and his family... but I don't know if she realises that she lives today only because of them. Perhaps death would have been a better option for her, but that's not how this story unfolded. But then again, she was a captive prisoner. 

I find it fascinating that a country with such a rich past and a fairly well educated and modern populace chose to ditch one dictator for another. I remember looking at Akbar Nazemi's pictures (titled Unsent dispatches from the Iranian revolution, 1978 - 1979) when they were exhibited in Vancouver (he lives here as well I believe), and couldn't help but notice all the people who were out there welcoming the Ayatollah. It wasn't a fringe group of people, it looked like a genuine outpouring of happiness by all sections of society. From men in beards to school children and women, it seemed to cut across the entire spectrum of society. Some of this is also expressed in the book as well. 

I just don't understand how all that promise of a better life without the Shah ended up the way it is today. I suppose that is the warning that we should heed: all these Arab spring type activities could actually bring out more extreme regimes into power who have little care for democracy and so-called western values. And we helped put them there.

Anyway, back to the book. I think it is definitely worth a read. I am glad she was able to get out of Iran and move to this country. Hopefully, she comes to peace with herself and her life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s...

Being Happy

I wonder why there is so much unhappiness in the world sometimes. I'm currently reading R. K. Narayan's Waiting for the Mahatma. The world the protagonist in the book lives in is a rather harsh one. And he seems to be quite unhappy. What makes one unhappy? Some days, I ask myself what the heck I am doing here. Maybe its because I have worked for the same person for 4 years and the same company for over 6. This was supposed to be a short-term job that would bring bigger and better things. I don't know what it has brought. I mean, I am doing better things. I am doing bigger things. But I don't know if it makes me happy any more. I don't wake up with the anticipation of hurrying to work to learn something new and make the world a better place. I don't know why. I suppose I have the ability to do that to a certain extent. Is it the lack of ambition?  Reading back to some of the earliest posts on this blog, I gave myself the task of being happy. Like it is somethi...

Bhishma speaks!

For some of you, this might be a bit off. I trust that you will follow your instincts and learn something new today. I heard Bhishma speak today. There he lay, on a bed of arrows, asking for deliverance and some water. He was supposed to fight for the Kauravas, but we all knew, his heart lay on the side of the Pandavas. Only, in the modern day world, Bhishma happens to have a very famous New England surname, almost American regalness. Sure, he does not have a lion rampant or one that is passant or salient for that matter on his standard, but Bhishma was there in all his glory, renouncing everything, waiting for Hastinapur to go back into the hands of the righteous before he dies. He even made the pledge to not die until Hastinapur changes hands back to the Pandavas. Somewhere along the way, the children of Hastinapur get confusing. They mould swiftly from the Elephant and the Ass to Hillary and the one that is Arjuna. Not Ranatunga mind you, but the real deal. Arjuna who is the third ...