Skip to main content

Observations made while pounding the pavement

My legs hurt. My feet hurt. My back hurts. And I would do it again. 

I finished running the second largest 10km race in the world, hosted in Vancouver. The Sun Run is probably the largest race type event in Vancouver, but probably not the most entertaining or the most hard core. I finished my race in 1 hour 03 minutes and 54 seconds. That's 6 minutes, 24 seconds a kilometre.  I placed 14739 (out of 51,419 people), 1657 in my age group (Males between 25 and 29).Technology is an amazing thing. My running, not so much.

I really, really, really wanted to finish the race, injury free in under an hour. That was my goal. And I was about 4 minutes short. I am quite disappointed in that result to be honest... but I guess I can always try next year. Or I can sign up for the next race, dubbed the Underwear Affair, a race to raise money for research into stuff below the waist or something. Apparently, lots of folks in their undergarments go out and have a fun 10km race. Not being an exhibitionist, I don't think I would fit in. 

The Sun Run and my results taught me one very important thing: I am not ready for a marathon. While I was fine at the end of the race (I was able to walk a good chunk of the way back home), I doubt I could have run another 32 km. I think I need a lot more training before I can attempt a marathon and come out of that without hurting myself (and finishing the event obviously).

The weather yesterday was perfect. Sunny and about 15 degrees. It felt quite warm when I was running. I think next year that I will start one wave ahead (I was in the 'white' wave this year, next year I will skip up to the 'green' wave and start sooner) with more runners than walkers. One thing I found a bit annoying was all the folks who were walking right in front of the runners. The race is big enough that they shut down major roads in the city. They also put up signs every so often telling the walkers to keep to the right and let the runners pass. But apparently, people don't heed signs. There is plenty of space on the course for the walkers, the runners and the crazy folks. You also run into some strange things; like the fellow who was jogging while on the cell phone. I am not saying a clear route would have made a difference in my time... but it would still have been nice to get a clear shot at finishing the race sooner.

I am always amazed when people give up a nice Sunday morning to raise money for a good cause. Especially when Mother's Day is on the same day and can be used as an excuse to skip the hard work. While the race wasn't as well organised as it could have been, it was a remarkably smooth affair. If I could, I would get better music along the track (none of that sad sentimental crap; you want to pump up your runners, not make them feel like giving up) and mark the distance more often. It works for me if I can see how much further I have to go and what time it is (from race start). I am totally looking forward to next year's Sun Run, hopefully, we can beat the Peachtree Road Race (they apparently have ~ 55,000 runners, making them the largest 10km race in the world).

If I was crazy, I would try doing the remaining 2 marathons this year (but I won't). Nor will I try running up Grouse Mountain, but I will hike it. Some day, I hope to qualify for this race. But that's a long way off right now. Oh well, off to do my homework (yes, I am back in school).

Comments

ray said…
hmm... why johnie macintyre?

And... Re: 1657 in my age group (Males between 25 and 29)

I wonder how many ppl in your age group? 1658? ;)
Some measure of anonymity I suppose.

As well, there are a lot more people who run that race who are in my age group :P. I am not that terrible a runner!

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Fontaine

Something happened to me. I was having fun. I should have known it would not last. It didn't. I met my Ava Fontaine. I have known her a while. She was perfect. PERFECT. I thought I was getting into something I knew. I enjoyed every minute of it. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had fun. I loved her laugh. It made those few seconds feel like an eternity of bliss. She laughed a lot. I thought I was able to make her do that. I probably did. The flowers looked prettier every time I thought of her. The world did too. Birds sang when I wanted them to. Noise dissapeared. Crowds parted. The sun shone on me. Until reality kicked in and I realised I was lying to myself. The world was just as cruel as it was before. She is no panacea for the pains of god's green earth. She is but a temporary blip, just as we all are. I thought it was special. It is no more special than anything else out there. She will always be Ava Fontaine to me. Perfect in every way. Except, that she's not real. I

New computer

I am getting a new computer after 5 years. Oddly, I seem to be reversing trends in terms of pricing. My new computer will actually cost me more than my previous one. What am I going to do with the new one? Same sort as stuff as with the current one. I am going to install Linux on it and use it as my desktop. I will likely convert my current machine to a server to host files and who knows what else. So, what does it have? It has an Intel Dual Core processors clocked at 2.8Ghz, a really cool ASUS motherboard, an NCQ enabled Seagate hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 RAM running at 533Mhz, an LG 16x DVD burner, a 6600 LE MSI Video card (with DVI and TVO), one of those fancy floppy disks with multiple memory card readers and the kicker, a funky kick-ass case that looks like a critter from some game. It is called the NZXT Nemesis Elite and I have stolen a pic from a site and put it here: The eye of this case can be modified to change colours (wow!). I should get it next Saturday. My biggest surprise s

Decent alternatives to Outlook

I've been trying to find a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Despite all its bulk and penchants for getting infected with viruses (from way back I should say), I do miss using Outlook. I just don't feel like paying for it nor do I need all of its diverse features.  So, I am looking for alternatives to Outlook. I tried Microsoft Mail and it was actually quite decent. I also tried Thunderbird and while I am not a huge fan of its mickey-mouse icons, I don't mind it either. If only Thunderbird had the polish that Firefox has.  I heard from people that Entourage sucked. Its not like I have a mac, but while doing research on this subject I ran across that.  So far, I have the mail part covered. I find it weird that despite using IMAP, my client only gets mail every so often (by default one of them was set to retrieve mail every 30 minutes!), but I was able to configure it to grab mail every minute. The parts I am having trouble with though are the calendar and the directory l